How to remove a cork inside a bottle?

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

Vanterax

Reaction score
I was bottling my wine today and I guess I got a little too enthusiastic on the floor corker... Shot a cork right inside one bottle. I quickly transferred the wine into a new bottle and corked is properly, but now I have a bottle with a cork inside.

What's the best way to get it out or did I just lose a good bottle?

smurfe

Reaction score
You can buy a cork retriever but it cost more than what the bottle is worth. These are normally used to retrieve a piece of broken cork I imagine. I don't know if and how it could retrieve a full cork as the cork needed to be compressed to enter the neck of the bottle.

http://www.finevinewines.com/ProdDetA.asp?PartNumber=9009

Vanterax

Reaction score
Yup. The retriever costs almost the same as a box of 12 750ml bottles from my local store. Oh well...

Thanks!

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Thats pretty cool Wade, a guy/gal could even win some money on that trick!!!!

Vanterax

Reaction score
That is a very neat trick. And I tried it. Unfortunately, I guess the bag I chose to use wasn't strong enough. It ripped in the pulling and now the cork is entangled in a 1/4 of the bag. This is not my day. :)

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I use the cheap grocery bags when I do need to do this which isnt very frequent but it has worked every time(about 3)!

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Darn Van, you may have to start on new thread on how to remove a mangled bag from a bottle.:)

Vanterax

Reaction score
Live and learn. I just started making wine and I'm soaking up the knowledge. Next time, I'll carefully choose my bag. :)

arcticsid

Arctic Contributor
Reaction score
Almost seems like there would be something that would dissolve or at least break it up, though I.ve never heard of anything, and in fact never heard about removing one till you asked.