How To: Rack with Auto-Siphon

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masta

Reaction score
I know many folks have issues with racking and I can tell you it takes time and experience to get good at it. While racking three batches this morning before bottling I grabbed the camera so I could share my technique and maybe it will help someone else.

These three batches I racked have been sitting for about 8-10 weeks (one with extra oak cubes) since the last racking and don't have an abundance of lees at the bottom. When you have more than a 3/8 of an inch of lees you must take extra caution when getting near the bottom.

I always use my auto-siphon when racking and the beauty of this tool is you can start a siphon with a few quick strokes and it comes in different sizes and all include a sediment tip. Trust me....this one piece of equipment is worth every cent you pay for it!

You can find all the auto-siphons here: http://www.finevinewines.com/Home-Wine-Making-Equipment-Siphons-Tubing.asp

After you start the siphon and the volume starts to drop I slowly drop the auto-siphon into the carboy and stop when it is roughly 3/4 of the way to the bottom. At this point I attach my spring clamp to the body of the auto siphon to hold it in place so I can do other things like check the forum on my laptop.
smiley4.gif

I am using my 3/8 inch auto-siphon since I broke the 1/2 inch one.
20070115_161936_P1010003_Medium.JPG

The spring loaded clamp can be found at most hardware stores.

20070115_162226_P1010004_Medium.JPG

The reason i don't put it all the way to the bottom in the beginning is thatit is tough to keep it still with a full carboy and learned this after disturbing a few batches when getting ready to rack and bottle.
smiley7.gif

When the volume drops close the tip of the auto-siphon (masta get off the forum and pay attention!)
smiley5.gif
it is time to very slowly guide it to the bottom and off to the side closest to you.Now that the volume is lower it usually stays put by itself.

The clamp also doubles as a carboy wedge to help get all the liquid.
smiley20.gif

20070115_163121_P1010006_Medium.JPG

With the carboy tipped just let the siphon complete by itself and you get most of the liquid and leave the lees behind where it belongs.

20070115_163333_P1010007_Medium.JPG

Now we are done and you have a carboy almost full of perfectly clear wine and enough to fill 30+ bottles.

20070115_163523_P1010008_Medium.JPG

Latest posts

Back