How to clean Carboy's as you go

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesnow

Reaction score
I make from fresh grapes and need to transfer to another carboy to remove segments in each carboy. My question is this, I have one empty 6g carboy and need to remove segments on 12 6g Carboy's. How can I go about doing this all in one day, transferring continuously from one carboy to the next like a domino effect. What would be the best method in doing this? My first carboy is clean, once I make the transfer, I'm left with the dirty carboy. I was thinking of rinsing it it several times, making it clean as possible. Then spray the interior with right quantity of Meta Potassium solution, place carboy upside down drip out as much as possible for five minutes and then continue on.

I just use a carboy/bottle washer sprayer attached to my sink and rinse it out really good. Let it drip dry for a few minutes and refill. You could rinse with sanitizer again but presumably sanitary wine just came out of it.

GreginND said:
I just use a carboy/bottle washer sprayer attached to my sink and rinse it out really good. Let it drip dry for a few minutes and refill. You could rinse with sanitizer again but presumably sanitary wine just came out of it.

Got a spray attachment, will be using it, question is ? , can the remaining water in the carboy spoil my wine? maybe i should add a little potassium sulfite..

I had the same problem, I transferred 8 like this, using the "domino" effect, never again! I bought a few more carboys and a Carboy Cleaner, attach to a drill and in seconds, the carboy is clean, I then rinse with meta, its all done in a min or two.

Pumpkinman said:
I had the same problem, I transferred 8 like this, using the "domino" effect, never again! I bought a few more carboys and a Carboy Cleaner, attach to a drill and in seconds, the carboy is clean, I then rinse with meta, its all done in a min or two.
Hmmm..let me understand, you wouldn't do again the "domino effect", Spray Rinse several times carboy, and then use the carboy cleaner (carboycleaner.com) with some cold water for a minute; and then again spray rinse cold water in the sink. You prefer having ex three empty carboys. do 3 per day let carboys completely dry

Last edited:
Thesnow, it was a real pain in the arse, plus, I am a clean freak when it comes to making wine, so much can happen without us taking a few shortcuts.
I rinse the carboy (which isn't really necessary with the carboy cleaner, as per their website), add a little B-Brite, water and clean with the carboy cleaner for a min, rinse, and I rinse again with meta.
This literally takes all of 3 to 4 mins. I've used the carboy brushes, I think they are horrible and inefficient.
I've racked 5 batches of wine recently, and cleaning the carboy on the fly was soooo much easier this way.

Here's a tip to anyone that's interested call it whatever, got tired trying angle my carboys to dry. So I made this

ForumRunner_20121230_163943.jpg

ForumRunner_20121230_164013.jpg

ForumRunner_20121230_164044.jpg

Last edited:
I use ..mark II Keg and carboy cleaner... Check it out...

Back in the day when I worried about drying my carboys I made the exact same thing but used 6" pvc couplings from Lowes with 1/2" holes drilled in them.
Today I leave an inch or two of meta in my carboys with a solid bung.

I do the same Runningwolf,with the inch or so of k-meta.... But I use, not to my liking... Na-meta... (Sodium meta)... I bought it before I knew any better....lol.. marks ll keg and carboy cleaner, is a lazy persons carboy cleaner.... I learned that quickly ... It gets old shackin a 6 gallon carboy... Cleaning , rinsing,drying, Ect...

Runningwolf said:
Today I leave an inch or two of meta in my carboys with a solid bung.

Runningwolf, when you say 1-2 inch of Meta is that powder only without any water? If its only powder, I assuming when your ready to use your carboy you only spray rinse the carboy and your ready to go? also why so much meta in your carboy.
I like your idea ..

But I use, not to my liking... Na-meta... (Sodium meta)... I bought it before I knew any better....lol..
Whoa.....I thought we were supposed to use Na Meta to sanitize and K Meta for ageing. Whats bad about Na Meta?

As soon as I am vacuum transferring carboy to carboy , I take the previous empty one and flush it out immediately and take the carboy cleaner to it and flush it out again. I then add some sulfite solution and swirl it all around and dump it all before the carboy is transferred – which is less than 5 minutes.
I then take a sulfite solution and run it thru my racking tube and hose and put a vacuum on the carboy that needs to be cleaned.

Latest posts

Back