How often have you experienced cork failure?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juggernaut

Reaction score
I went to a winery recently, and she used nothing but Zorks, because she said 9% of wines go bad do to cork failure.

Last edited:
It's time for you to go to a new winery. It is extremely rare to find a cork failure if a winery is using decent corks and a properly functioning corker. I think the corker would be the bigger cause of cork failure of the two.

It's time for you to go to a new winery. It is extremely rare to find a cork failure if a winery is using decent corks and a properly functioning corker. I think the corker would be the bigger cause of cork failure of the two.

I agree with Dan ^

thats just sad! Where is this winery? Dont say the name just area!!

thats just sad! Where is this winery? Dont say the name just area!!

They were just a hobby farm winery in a small town in Minnesota. Most of the wines they make are from fruits they grow on the property. I actually liked most of the wines. I just thought it was odd that they were using Zorks, so I asked her about it.

all I can say is..... I need to get my license so I can sell mine legally!! lol Live and learn. Hopefully they are just young. I wish them the best. How hard is it to get a winery license I ask? Does it very state by state??

I understand its easy just a lot of paper work.

I use nomacorks. Never had a bad one out of ??3,000???

Hmmm in 10 years and hundreds upon hundreds upon thousands of bottles... Once only:ib

I do have started to use nomacorks, but I dont wax them.
I like that I can store standing up....

From where are you guys buying these nomacorks? I like the idea of being able to store my wine bottles standing up.

Thanks...

I use Zorks exclusively because

• Easy to put on
  • Easy to take off
  • Bottles can be stored upright
  • Not one failure in over 1,000

The down side to Zorks is the 35¢ per bottle premium. However, when you factor in the foils and wax, Zorks are about equal to premium corks.

bkisel, i got mine from amazon....its actually nomocorcs...

Thanks, found them on Amazon as you indicated.

Is #9 x 1 1/2" the standard size? At my LHBS I just ask for x number of corks and use what they give/sell me. I've never asked for a specific size.

Like Jim I use aggregate corks.
I buy them by the 1000 pack and have never had a problem.
I also believe in micro-oxygenation.
Steve, time for an experiment.
One on its side & one standing up for a year.
One on its side no wax and one standing up waxed.
Then we drink.

Cheers

BigMac
I take your challenge !
How many years would you like to go back ?

I have a killer Frontenac made in 2009 and it is still standing upright

I have been using the bi-disc corks for years. The only failures I've had is if the corker somehow chipped or damaged the cork going in. I've noticed more wineries using the newer glass stoppers. I was skeptical at first but it looks like it's very effective. And you can easily restopper the bottle by hand.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back