How Often Do You Check SG?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete1325

Reaction score
Hi all, I was just curious, how often do you guys check SG during primary? Every other day, every day twice a day.........more?

During primary fermentation, I check it at the beginning and then not again until I notice fermentation slowing and I am looking for the SG to transfer it to secondary, variously from 1.010 to 1.030, depending on the wine.

Daily
(but that word is too short for the forum, so I'm adding this pointless text to make it long enough)

At the beginning of fermentation, @ day 4, then daily till it reaches 1.010 than rack to secondary.

Day 1, day 7, and if not low enough whenever I feel it will be low enough.

Steve

When I first started, I checked SG everyday. I recommend all new wine makers do this daily, until they get a feel for it.

After you have done several fermentations, you sort of know when to expect things to change. So, I check it at the beginning, so I know where I started, then I don't bother to check until I know it is pretty much at the point of moving to the next step. It is sort of a gut feel, I guess. You sort of know when things are slowing down or changing. I still check SG twice during last three days.

I check it every 12 hours (each time I punch down). I also take temperature readings. I plug the data into a small graphing application to chart out how my fermentation is going. If slow, I can turn the heat up or maybe add fermax or another innoc of yeast. if too fast, I can cool the must down.

Daily until it's dry or until I rack to secondary. then not again until I am ready to rack and clarify.

Last edited:
I check mine on day 1 and then again on day 6 (or 7) If it's not down around 1.02 or so I check daily until it reaches that point. I wait a week after it's put in secondary then every couple of days till dry.

The first day when making the wine I check my SG. Just for adjusting the must.

Then never again.

The only exception is when making a wine which gets a story on my web-log. Then I only check when the wine is finished.

Luc

Depends on what I'm making; always before pitching yeast, then whenever I feel like I should (i.e., when fermentation starts slowing and/or when taste or time tells me I should probably end fermentation). Normally it's around 6-7 days from pitching yeast, or in simpler terms, whenever the airlock bubbles slow dramatically.

When making the port I was checking daily (after the first 3 days) because I was fortifying at a specific point. With the dry plum I don't think I bothered checking after pitching the yeast at all, since I was fermenting to dry and I don't really care that much about specific ABV. So it's all relative, whatever you're comfortable with, just make sure you have your starting numbers of course...

Latest posts

Back