How much wine can I get from 12 bunches of grapes?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I inherited 3 vines of grapes last year. I added a 4th. The original 3 did not produce this year because they have been 'wild' and needed to be cut back. The 4th is Pinot Noir grapes and has about 12 bunches on the vine. What kind of output could I get from this? Is it worth it? I only have wine kit knowledge, so beside the learning curve, I wonder if this small an output is worth trying.

It takes about 3 lugs (3 x 36 or ~108 pounds) to make between 5 and 6 gallons of must.
I don't know how big your bunches are, but I doubt 12 bunches is even one 36-pound lug. If it is one lug, it would be about 2 gallons of must.

Hope this helps. Hopefully there are others on here who can narrow this down.

Crush them and add them to a pinot kit and make a really good wine.

BOB

I would recommend you try it no matter how much, it's better to ruin or lose a small batch and learn before you have a large amount.

Aren't Pinot kits pretty fickle like the grape itself? Plus what kind of additional costs am I taking on? A device to determine ripeness, ability to test acid levels and have chemicals to balance? I am walking into a black hole of costs having just gotten started with kits so I need to measure value these days for such a small batch.

My personal opinion is that the risk/reward gap is way too wide here. MAybe just freeze them and use them in a batch next year when you have more would be an option.

Pinot bunches are npt very big so you will get 3-6 pounds of grapes. That will only make about a quart. I would go the addition to something else route.

Back