How Much Snow Did You Get Last Week

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The first winter I lived in South Louisiana we had a snow similar to what Waldo depicted. It brought EVERYTHING here to a grinding halt. It was like 1"-2" of snow. The State Police closed I-10. TheState shut down all their offices. It was amazing.I had worked a night tour and was heading home and a Trooper pulled me over in my 4WD Jeep to tell me the Interstate was closed and I was going to have to exit at the next exit (which was my exit) and to drive carefully.

The problem with snow in the south is that it's not like snow in the north, it's a thin layer of snow, over ice! As the snow hit's the warm ground, it melts, the air freezes it, and the snow sticks to the ice. We all know what a thin dusting of snow is like on hard ice, now put that ice on a thin layer of slush........... No fun...., but it doesn't last long either.

Did I mention I saw plants budding out and flowers appearing on the roadside today? My daughter should also be here in a few minutes from Syracuse NY, where they just got 5 feet of snow.

A winter storm found it's way into the Northern Plains...we didn't really believe it would get this far North....

Yesterday we went early to the fish house, there was freezing rain...so we took the trailer along....after about 4 hours there was a total white-out and we were 1 1/2 miles across the lake from the access....had about 3 inches of snow by then.

Being as fishing has been so bad....we loaded the trailer, cut our fishing short by a day...tucked our tails between our legs and headed for the shed....was slow going getting home.

This morning we had a good 8 to 10 inches of pure white fluffy snow...After having all the snow that was around here mixed with dirt blown off the field...it was nice to see a new fresh blanket.

We played winemaker for half the day and then Jim pushed up the yard with the tractor and I got to shovel around the doorways and steps....So...winter has finally arrived in the High Plains...looks like more on the way.

After having such a drought last summer we are happy to see any form of precipitation...and you can't do anything about the weather, but try to find a bright spot in it....
Edited by: Northern Winos

smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

Finally a decent little snowstorm. When that melts in a few months, it will help growing conditions...
Sorry you had to cut the last days fishing short.
smiley19.gif

We havent gotten much winter here either but were about to get another little tease, 2"-4" tonight into tommorrow.

I am hoping witner is over here. It hit 82 yesterday!
smiley20.gif

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Got an additional 1 1/2 to 2 inches of snow and freezing rain last night here in Dayton, but the temp got up to about 45 and that melted pretty quick. I still have snow piled up to the top of my mailbox though! I can't wait till spring gets here!

YIKES!!!!!
smiley3.gif
A strong winter storm on the way...12 to 18 inches of snow....strong winds....Winter has finally come to the Northern Plains....

Have heard the expression "Better late than never"...but...this?... We wanted some moisture...[be careful what you wish for] was thinking of warm April showers....

Get what you get.....

jobe05 said:
Does this mean the camp gets set back up on the lake?

Any fishing shanty's out on the lake will be in... deep...snow....

It has started coming down, fine stuff like sugar....The old timers say..."Big flakes = small snow"..."Small flakes = big snow"

Storm warnings for the next 48 hours...hunker-down...drink wine.

NW looks like March is truly coming in like a lion for you.......Picturesd are in order here you know !!!

I feel your pain NW. The Winter Storm Warnings are up again here. Tonight through tomorrow night we will get 8-14 inches of mixed snow and sleet. At least temps are supposed to be milder this time around. These storms are a better measure of Spring coming than the Groundhog. We typically get these storms as winter is retreating. As the Jet Stream moves farther north, it directs the storm path north with it. Spring should arrive in about 2 to 4 weeks.
smiley4.gif

Wet snow/sleet tonight then changing to rain with 2-3 inches of rain possible tomorrow!

The grass is getting green, leaves coming out on the trees, Carolina jasmine everywhere, birds chirping...humidity is back. I think it is safe to say spring and sprung here!!

Ramona

apple,
When you are enjoying warm breezes, cool shade, we will be burning our feet on the grass and taking 3 showers a day and paying 400.00 electric bills!!! I'll trade you northeners any time!!!
Ramona

rgecaprock said:
The grass is getting green, leaves coming out on the trees, Carolina jasmine everywhere, birds chirping...humidity is back. I think it is safe to say spring and sprung here!!

Ramona

Yup, it has been in the mid to high 70's for a week now! I had to cut grass yesterday and have more to cut today if it doesn't rain me out. Looks like it will rain today though.

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Masta, I'll take the rain! Maine is looking at possibly another foot of snow tonight into tomorrow. This may be a multi bottle night
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Back