How much K Meta to add after testing?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gekko4321

Reaction score
I got the Accuvin free SO2 test kit today. So once you use it and get a number, what amount of k meta do you add and to what level? Is there a formula out there? I went through a few pages on here and could not find anyhting, so sorry if asked a million times before. Also, it shows expiration of 11/2011. Is that normal for it to expire so soon? Thanks!

Accuvin test kits do have a short shelf life. I would think if you kept them in the fridge that would help extend it a bit, just make sure to allow it to warm up to room temp first before testing.

Here is a good Sulfite Calculator

The problem is you more than likely don't have anyway of checking pH, and SO2 levels are directly based on pH level. If you tell us your particular kit perhaps we can give you a good estimate of pH. I have made and tested most all of my kit wines and have some average data on red vs white.

I am currently making a RJ Spagnols En Primeur Cabernet Sauvignon with a RJS EP Sauv Blanc and a Cellar Craft Showcase Zinfandel both up next. I bought pH strips but found them useless as the wine discolored the test area and made it impossible to read. Appreciate any advice!

There is quite a bit of spread. Reds have been anywhere from 3.2 - 3.5, Whites are 3.2-3.4. I would pick the middle of each range and add maybe a touch more just incase your wine has a higher pH. The higher the pH, the more sulfite your wine needs to be protected. Bacteria like higher pH wine so the higher the pH the more SO2 you need to protect it.

If you think your in this hobby to stay a digital pH meter can be had for pretty cheap these days from Fine Vine Wines etc. They are very easy to use and a winemakers best friend next to a hydrometer.

Thanks Mike. If I had a nickel every time someone said to me to spend a little more money on this hobby, well, I guess I would have saved about 5 cents for every 100 dollars out the door! ;) I am in too deep already. Need to taste and enjoy my creations before going any further into the abyss. I was told once that kit wines pH levels are unusual because of the prep involved in it already and not to trust the numbers. Not true? Also I wish the advice I got to get this SO2 testing prepared me for needing a digital pH meter. So I enter say an arbitrary 3.4 for pH. I assume I trust their .8 desired molecular SO2. Says reds should be 40 ppm and whites 32 ppm. It tells me to add .02 ounces of sulfite powder with these factors. I assume k meta the same. Is .02 ounces literally 2% of an ounce? Is there where dilutive solutions come into play? Because I am in a topped carboy how do I add a dilutive water or wine based solution? Do I wait a day to retest? If bottling right away, is 40 ppm good for 1.5-2 years left of aging (plus at least 1-2 years to drink)? If bulk aging, would I check numbers again in 3 months? Thanks!

In for a penny in for a pound!

At pH 3.4 a white will require ~34ppm, a red 20ppm. A white will always require more SO2 than a red as it is more prone to oxidation. Yep the addition is around 0.02oz or around 0.56 grams. I purchased a small scale from Amazon for like $10 that weighs to 0.01 grams.

See here is yet another tool you need in this hobby!

Or you could just add 1/8 tsp and call it a day. That should get you through to bottling in my experience and you should be able to easily go to 6 months bulk aging especially for a red. A white I would test again just before bottling if you were to bulk age for another 3 months more.

Latest posts

Back