How much is allowed?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjdtexan

Reaction score
I was reading this article on growing grapes in Texas and I saw this statement " Home winemakers are allowed to make up to 200 gallons of wine per year for their personal consumption" Is this a true statement? I couldnt find anything else that says that. I am not even close to having make 200 gallons and I really dont think that even if I made 300 gallons that anybody would say anything, I am just curious ifin yall have heard this.

Here is my Source <------Klick

Yep!! It is true. The Fed limit is 200 gallons. Any given state could be less. Alabama is 5 gallons. You yourself can only make 100 gallons unless someone in your household over 21 claims 100 more. 200 limit per household.

same in new jersey 200Gal. limit, also a $25.00 permit to do that if you apply...
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley1.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif

I found out last week that it is illegal to make wine or beer in Utah. There was a story in the newspaper about it. I'm not letting it stop me though. Alot of people here make beer. Our liquor laws are interesting. Right now they are trying to make it a law that there has to be a 10 foot wall around where they make drinks. This is to prevent children from seeing the liquor bottles. They also want to scan your drivers license when you go to a bar and there have been rumors that the state wants to make a database of who was drinking where and when.
Is there any other state that you cannot buy liquor anywhere but state liquor stores? All we can buy in the grocery stores is 3.2 beer. No wine coolers even. You have to get those at the state run liquor store and they are $12 for a 4 pack.

None of that in Florida, thank goodness. We still have a dry county or 2 somewhere in the state.
VPC

It is almost as bad in NY as far as buying liquor in liquor stores and wine in liquor stores and bonded wineries only. The governor wants to sell it in the grocery stores, but there is resistance from the liquor store lobbies saying it will put them out of business and hurt all the wineries by encouraging lower prices for wine.

I think the one that really gets me is the 10 foot wall. I doubt that one will pass. We should know by Friday.

OK like Joeswine said 200 gallons of wine a year here in NJ. SO, what if you also brew Beer like me? I know it's 200 gallons of beer. So, can I make 200 gallons of each?
smiley20.gif
smiley32.gif

Tepe, NO !!!!! You get 200 gallons of fermented aclcohol over ABV .05%. And you need a state permit ($15.00) to do that as of 01/01/09
NJ http://www.beertown.org/statutes/newjersey.htm

Here are the other states, just pick your state http://www.beertown.org/homebrewing/legal.html

I think that every state has a set back. TN will not allow you to fortify and D.C. will not allow an ABV over 14%, Geogia max is 50 gallons and Alabama 5 Gallons. CT does not allow anyone named Wade to make any alcohol..... Hmmm go figure!!

FEDERAL LAW (a) Beer.--For purposes of this chapter (except when used with reference to distilling or distilling material) the term "beer" means beer, ale, porter, stout, and other similar fermented beverages (including sake or similar products) of any name or description containing one-half of 1 percent or more of alcohol by volume, brewed or produced from malt, wholly or in part, or from any substitute therefore.

§ 5053 EXEMPTIONS

(e) Beer for personal or family use.--Subject to regulation prescribed by the Secretary, any adult may, without payment of tax, produce beer for personal or family use and not for sale. The aggregate amount of beer exempt from tax under this subsection with respect to any household shall not exceed--

(1) 200 gallons per calendar year if there are 2 or more adults in such household, or

(2) 100 gallons per calendar year if there is only 1 adult in such household.

For purposes of this subsection, the term "adult" means an individual who has attained 18 years of age, or the minimum age (if any) established by law applicable in the locality in which the household is situated at which beer may be sold to individuals, whichever is greater.

Note: The information presented here is to the best of our knowledge and should not be used as a substitute for legal advice specific to the laws of your state.

Then you add your state to the above: TN : "personal"means leagal age members of household and guests.

Here is Utah:

Utah statue §32A-8-101 prohibits a person from manufacturing any alcoholic beverage unless an alcoholic beverage manufacturing license has been issued by the state commission. Violation of this subsection is a class B misdemeanor.

It looks like Wisconsin is pretty liberal as long as you don't sell it

Since my cat is 9 years old (52 in human years according to a web site) ya thinkI can count her as an adult? That way I can go forthe max 200 gal here in AR.Either that or start drinking more.....
smiley17.gif

So, how many 750 ml bottles do you have to have on hand to get caught with 200 gallons of wine¿ 1000?

I looked up the law in Washington. I can make up to 200 gallons but it can only be consumed by other people if they are in my house. How stupid is that!

mjdtexan said:
So, how many 750 ml bottles do you have to have on hand to get caught with 200 gallons of wine¿ 1000?

YEP !
smiley20.gif

200 gallons = 1,000 bottles which is not that much for me. Just ask Joeswine.
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back