How much frozen concentrate to add to Pee?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saddlebronze

Reaction score
I have my first 5 gal of pee ready to go. Tasted it and the SWAG is that it will need about 6% residual sugar to tame it. I was thinking of adding a frozen fruit concentrate instead to make more of a berry flavor, but how much should I add for 5 gals?

This is something difficult to answer.
First of all we don't know what you like as far as sweetness goes. Many of my skeeter pees end up around 1.010

Second every different flavor of concentrate is a different level of sweetness. The blueberry pomegranate is heavily sweetened while the kiwi strawberry is barely sweet.

Suggest getting a few cans and add, sample a bit and add more to your liking. If you read the tutorial about the Pearson Square on Home Page > Tutorial you could calculate to a gravity with a hydrometer reading of your concentrate.

I guess it is a SWAG, but I will start with 6 cans per 5 gallons and then add more if it is not there. I know when we sweeten our wines they need a lot less for our taste, but the pH is so low on the pee, it will take more.

I went with one can of concentrate (cran/rapberry or white grape/cran) per gallon of dry pee. My wife tends to like dry wines but at half a can per gallon wasn't enough to tame the beast so we went with one can per gallon. Based on my monkey math that worked out to be right about 5% residual sugar. We like it...alot. I have 3G clear that will get back sweetened the same way this weekend. Sweeten to your liking. Just my $.02!

Latest posts

Back