How many times to rack before bottling ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eculligan

Junior
Reaction score
Hello, we have an amazing batch of red wine going this year from grapes that we grew. Having just completed our second rack today I’m wondering if that’s sufficient before bottling . The wine is really clear at this point already. Also when should bottling take place? Thanks !! Emmett

Hello, we have an amazing batch of red wine going this year from grapes that we grew. Having just completed our second rack today I’m wondering if that’s sufficient before bottling . The wine is really clear at this point already. Also when should bottling take place? Thanks !! Emmett
rack once every 3 months a couple three times, this will age and degas your wine,
Dawg

I press when the must is below 1.000 but still active. From there is goes in carboys for 1 to 3 weeks, so fermentation is complete and gross lees have mostly dropped and compacted. I rack and degas at this time, so additional sediment drops faster. Depending on sediment droppage I rack again between 1 week and 3 months later.

The old rule was to rack and add K-meta every 3 months. However, I'm seeing evidence from folks on this forum that racking at longer intervals is fine. If you're testing SO2 levels, check every 3 months and add as needed. If you don't check SO2 levels (I don't) add 1/4 tsp K-meta per five gallons every 3 months.

How long to bulk age is up to you. If you are not adding oak and the wine is clear (no sediment for 2 weeks) you can bottle as early as 4 months. Personally, I wouldn't bottle before 6 months, but that's a personal preference.

If adding oak adjuncts (chips, cubes, spirals, staves. etc.), I typically leave them in 3 months and bulk age at least another month after that.

If in a barrel, the wine stays there until the next wine is ready to go in, roughly a year. Regardless of when you bottle, don't open a bottle for at least a month as wines often go into bottle shock, which goes away relatively quickly.

Most reds benefit from a year of aging (bulk and/or bottle). Regardless of what you decide, make sure the wine is clear and not dropping sediment for at least a few weeks before bottling. Sediment in the bottle isn't necessarily bad, but it detracts from the appearance of the wine. A bit of patience is all that is required.

How long has it been since you pressed? If it's your second racking I would think only about a month.

Back