How many @ once?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I will have to get the whole wine making thing down pat, but as of now, I have 3 on the go. 2chiraz, and one chardonnay. I am completely new at this and have done a lot of reading. I have spent more money on topping up than anything. I have 6 gallon carboys. And the recipes are for 5 gallon batches. I may need to invest in some 5 gallon ones. What do you use? 5or 6 gallon? Don't most recipes call for 5 gallons?

I will have to get the whole wine making thing down pat, but as of now, I have 3 on the go. 2chiraz, and one chardonnay. I am completely new at this and have done a lot of reading. I have spent more money on topping up than anything. I have 6 gallon carboys. And the recipes are for 5 gallon batches. I may need to invest in some 5 gallon ones. What do you use? 5or 6 gallon? Don't most recipes call for 5 gallons?

Yes you want 5 gal carboys, 3 gal and some 1 gal carboys. And 1/2 gal is good for keeping top up in. I have 7 carboy aging 2 in secondary one in primary

6 Gal is a popular size because that is what the vast majority of wine kits make.

Sorry guys but in 2006 I did 21 batches from grapes with a mate across seven varieties. About 1200 KGs in total. Then there were a couple of batches of Cider and some beer as well. It was a bit full on but a wonderful way to learn quickly

Got rid of the mate a few years ago as he was too busy to help pick and wasn't drinking enough to clear the backlog. Limiting myself to 12-14 smaller batches, more varieties and experiments and about 500KG of grapes.

I have three buckets, so my limit has been three in primary AF and three in carboys completing AF. I've mentally limited myself to 12 carboys and have held fast to that limit.

When I got my three barrels, it emptied three carboys, so I was still in business. I've got two empty carboys and one wine in a bucket which will take one carboy when it is ready to be racked. Need one empty carboy for racking, so as these wines emerge from barrels, I'll start bottling, they'll be 8 - 12 months old by then.

I have 14 going - a variety of 6 gal, 5 gal & 1 gal. I used to be hard to buy for but not anymore - now I get carboys and wine making goodies as gifts.

Latest posts

Back