how many brix to harvest native wild grapes and how soon to crush after harvest?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimTheWiner

Begintner
Reaction score
I have some friends with wild native grapes in their property but only 12 brix as of last week. Also a neighbor that has about 20 clusters that he is hoping I can make into a gallon? Also only about 15 brix. What should I be shooting for? I was assuming at least 20. Also target TA (ballpark)? I am also going to M&M Produce this weekend in Hartford and looking to buy fresh grapes (as well as a press and crusher) for the first time. I really would like to do about 5 batches, but worried about having enough free time. Can the grapes be refrigerated or frozen for some time before they are ready to press or is it not recommended?
Thanks

wild grapes may not make 20 brix. look for brown to black seed that crunch when chewed. that is another indicator of ripeness. take whatever TA you can get and adjust. Most likely will be high.
20 clusters will have to be pretty heavy. tales 12-15 lbs for one gallon of wine. If high acid can add water to reduce acid might achieve the gallon that way.
Gapes can be fozen.

Often wild grapes only hit 16 brix max.

You will have to ad sugar or concentrate to get them up to about 22 brix.

Latest posts

Back