How long to leave Foch in contact with skins?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oregondabbler

Reaction score
Should I shorten the time in contact with the skins? Perhaps low temperature maceration would be better? For those making Marshal Foch wine from grapes, what to you like to do?

It's probably too late for my current batch but I'd like to ask for future reference. I leave the wine in contact with the skins throughout primary fermentation, which takes about a week. Fermentation temperature is around 80 F. I bottle after about 10 months maturation in glass carboys but there are often color deposts on the glass bottle when I decant the wine. The wine comes out very dark. The wine is good but maybe it could be better. Suggestions?

Ok, so about 100 views but no comments. My take is that this is of some interest but the question was either too basic or none of the readers had a strong enough opinion to give their take.

What I did this year: 1 day soak at about 65 F (sulfite addition after crush) followed by 5 days fermentation

To answer my question, I google-searched for winerys that produce Foch and checked to see what they did. I got a range of results. One winery felt that 3 days on the skin was about right. At the other end of the spectrum, was Airlie which said they did a cold soak for 3-4 days followed by warm (up to 90F) fermentation on the skin for 8-10 days.

So I guess the answer is...it depends. :slp

Like making any wine, there are many methods that work and it is up to the individual to find what works best under their conditions. The more specific you are in your question, the fewer answers you will get.
Also Foch is a relatively minor grape variety so there may not be many here that have made it. I know I made it once, didn't care for it and have never made it since. My son made some two years ago and it never got bottled because nobody here like the taste. Others love Foch wine. It seems to be one of those grapes that is considered a must grow grape for cold climates but then I get a lot of comments like "What is wrong with my Foch?"

I second what grapeman said. I have seen your thread, but have never made a foch. I opted to keep silent on this one because of that.

That being said, I would continue to leave it on the skins throughout primary fermentation, but lengthen the amount of time you bulk age to, say, 18 to 24 months. This would cut down on that amount of sediment in the bottle. You could also filter or use a clarifying agent if you want to rush it.

I have made Foch in the past and found vegetative tastes an issue. does not seem to be your problem. I would suggest some post fermentation tannin addition. go to Scottlabs.com and check out there fermentation handbook where they discuss using these tannin. you can call them and they will send you a copy of the book. alternative is age with some oak cubes or in a barrel.

Back