2022 Roussanne "Orange Wine"

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great! Any filtering/fining, or just clean racking?
I did filter (Polish Pads) with my four plate Buon Vino - I do normally filter white wines as any particulate is unsavory to the drinker. I don't filter red wines, however. But, will say, it was pretty clean going into the filtration system.

That is amazing looking product. Quite a project from start to professional looking finish.
Job well done.

Thanks for documenting and sharing Crushday !
Heres my first attempt this year at an orange wine.
In Montreal, Orange wines are SUPER popular, and I have to admit I like them more than whites (And easier to do!)
Got enough Moscato grapes from california, to have at least a demi-john (52 liters)
Used EC1112, and added some icepacks throughout to have longer primary fermentation.
Took maybe 5 days longer than usual reds (so 12-13 days).
Initially wanted to let it sit for 30-60 days, but after 12-13 days it was great so I wanted to keep it like that.
When it first started, it had passito di pantelleria aromas (so amazing), and when fermenation was done, still had hints of it (apricots, mineral, floral), but still pretty dry.
Pressed using wineasy.
I didnt filter, but gradually got rid of sediments through rackings. Removing the sediments gave it a cleaner fresher taste, even though alot of oranges are bottled with sediments.

I'll probably do very similar next year, but punch the cap more often to get fuller colour, and might still try to extend to 20-25 days before pressing.

thumbnail_IMG_7103.jpg

@yanick - great looking bottle of wine! Sounds like your process was a good one and you learned what to do next. I’m planning on making this wine again. If it turned out similar to the first batch, I’d be very happy.

Because this is a white “orange :) ” wine made in a red wine style I have found it is served best like a red wine. After 60 minutes in a decanter it really opens up and become something wonderful. Not that it’s not delightful immediately but like any red wine it improves with a little sit time.

I look forward to hear about your next iteration(s)!

Last edited:
@yanick - great looking bottle of wine! Sounds like your process was a good one and you learned what to do next. I’m planning on making this wine again. If it turned out similar to the first batch, I’d be very happy.

Because this is a white “orange :) ” wine made in a red wine style I have found it is served best like a red wine. After 60 minutes in a decanter it really opens up and become something wonderful. Not that it’s not delightful immediately but like any red wine it improves with a little sit time.

I look forward to hear about your next iteration(s)!
Never thought of decanting, but yeah it does make a lot of sense, I’ll try it !

Has the wedding passed ? How was it ?
I’m guessing you had good comments on the wine ? The colour looks amazing, and so does your label !

Never thought of decanting, but yeah it does make a lot of sense, I’ll try it !

Has the wedding passed ? How was it ?
I’m guessing you had good comments on the wine ? The colour looks amazing, and so does your label !
The wedding was great and the wine was very well received. I brought the Orange wine, a Pinot Gris, Sauv Blanc and a red blend. The wines were a show stopper…

Latest posts

Back