how long do tartrates take to settle?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyntheef

grunt
Reaction score
i took an 8 oz. sample from a fully fermented concord and put it in a sealed jar in the frig. i am trying to determine if there is a need for cold stablization on the entire carboy, but i have no idea how long it may take to show up since i haven't ever done it before.
i only ever did one other regional wine and it should have been cold stablized, but the stuff i drink doesn't seem to require it, so i don't do it.

so, will this be a day or two test since it's in the frig, or should it take longer than that?
the wine is a belated birthday gift for the wifies sister and i was thinking i could maybe get it ready for her on thanksgiving.

i know i can take the long road and just c.s regardless, but honestly if it's not going to need it, i'd prefer to get it to her soon and be done with it.

as always, thanks in advance for any help.

It can take several weeks for the acid to fall out as crystals. If you cold stabilize the whole batch and the acid is not too high, nothing will fall out, anyway.

I agree several weeks to complete it. Steve remember once you put the carboy in the fridge It'll take several days to completely cool it down. I do it in my freezer at 28*..

Latest posts

Back