How long do boxed kit last?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onin24eagle

Reaction score
Embarrassed to say I purchased 2 kits 1 1/2 years ago. They both have been sitting in a coat closet the whole time. Should I even bother making them, or are they trash?

Thanks,

Scott

They should be fine but check the expiration date on the yeast package as that might need replacing. Also, when you open up the juice check to see if the juice is the proper color and not brown but even then its worth trying as a package is pretty darn cheap.

I would still make them if they were mine. I would pay close attention for any off smells or anything else that may not be good.

What kind of kits are they?

Goodfella said:
I would still make them if they were mine. I would pay close attention for any off smells or anything else that may not be good.

What kind of kits are they?

Vintner's Reserve 1 Chardonnay and 1 Barolo.

The higher levels of concentrate in these Vintners Reservekits MAY give them a longer shelf life than Selection kits. What are the manufacuring dates on the kits?

I would expect the Chardonnay to oxidize before the Barolo, but I don't have a lot of experience with old kits, and none with VR kits.

Steve

I just bought three kits that were about 2 1/2 years old. I made a Winery Series cabernet a couple of weeks ago and started a Kenridge pinot noir today. I did buy fresh yeast because the yeast that came with the kit was past the expiration date. The juice may have lost a little color but it still tastes good. I had lots of sediment caked inside the juice bag that I had to rinse twice and do lots of rubbing to get it all out. Time will tell if its worth the effort.

I say ferment it and find out. My guess is it will be fine.

Wayne

Latest posts

Back