RJ Spagnols How long are kits good for?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpkinman

Reaction score
I am looking at a German Gewurztraminer kit with a stamp of 20110426, I can only guess this means April 26 2011 as the manufacture date

Which kit is this? RJS uses this dating system If it is a Grand Cru International series I would give it a go. If it was stored cool then you will definitely be OK but warm you will know when you pour your juice into the fermenter it will be brown if it is no good.

It is a Cru Select.
I'm just curious, not going to buy it, but I'd rather a customer not buy it if it isn't good.

Related to this question, is when do they make the kits. Based on Northern hemisphere grapes harvested in early fall, have they stopped making kits off of 2011 Juice and switched to 2012 juice? Is this a time when they clear out their inventory before switching to new 2012 juice?

One RJS video I was watching said that the waranty for a kit was 1 year from the date published on the box. So if you had a kit approaching a year it would be a good idea to make it in case there are issues.

Thanks for the info. It is 1 yr 8 months old, time to let the lhbs owner know, maybe I'll be able to take it home and try it.

Last edited:
For a white wine I would not buy it if it was over a year. Some kits say 18 months from date but I made a White Merlot and it showed oxidation when I made it and didnt keep well either.

I saw a for sale ad for equipment and wine kits. There was 4 Selections Limited edition kits in the picture and was interested. I responded and was able to come up with a name. I then did a google search for the kit and came up with 1999 Limited Edition Melon De Bourgogne. I think this would definately be out side the useable range. The person selling has no idea about the stuff. Guess I will have to break the bad news to them.

That said, there is a part of me that wants to open one up and see whats inside.

cheers

Pumpkinman, i have the same question... i just opened my shipment... a couple RJS En Primeur kits the merlot kit date is 20120929?.... these kits are good for 18 months?... i didn`t plan on doing this one next...but it looks like i am....

Last edited:
This kit is still quite fresh 20120929 is September 29th 2012 this kit was put together this kit is only 2.5 months.

Yep, once you get the knack of reading these dates, it opens up a whole new understanding, I had to let the LHBS owner know that three kits were trash, expired... oh well...

Spagnols guidelines used to be 24 months for the smaller kits (7-8 liters), 18 months for the midsize (10-12 liters) and 12 months for the premium kits (15 liters and up). There are certainly factors that could change these, but these were the guidelines for kit viability.

This kit is still quite fresh 20120929 is September 29th 2012 this kit was put together this kit is only 2.5 months.

SORRY rjb222....the date on my kit is 20110929..... seems old?

if i fire this kit up...and it`s bad ? then what... i got it from a very trusted store.... the browning coloration thing is a problem for me... i`m color DUMB...... lol..... no really

Is the kit a red or white? I would call the dealer and let them know the date code and ask for some credit towards your next purchase. You are not all that far out of date so if the kit was properly stored it should still be OK. The dealer should have let you know and discounted the kit though.

Is the kit a red or white? I would call the dealer and let them know the date code and ask for some credit towards your next purchase. You are not all that far out of date so if the kit was properly stored it should still be OK. The dealer should have let you know and discounted the kit though.

it`s red....Rjs en primeur..chilean merlot

I'd be tempted to get a fresh packet of yeast, but otherwise, I wouldn't expect any issues.

Ricky, maybe the first step would be to contact RJ Spagnols to make sure that I am not opening up a can of worms here.
I didn't know about the individual "good until" dates, i noticed the label and what appeared as a production date on kits as I was working.
Here is a list of contact numbers, either way, I will try to contact them to get a definitive answer on these date stamps.

RJ Spagnols - Vancouver
1325 Derwent Way Delta, British Columbia V3M 5V9
TEL WHOLESALE ORDER DESK: 1-604 524-3710 (Greater Vancouver)
TEL WHOLESALE ORDER DESK: 1-888-663-0954 (Western Canada & USA)
TEL CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-604 524-9463 (Greater Vancouver)

TOLL FREE CUSTOMER SERVICE: 1-800 663-0954 (within Canada and USA)
TOLL FREE ADMINISTRATION: 1-866 883-0083 FAX: 1-604 524-1327
TOLL FREE FAX: 1-888 557-7557

Thanks pumpkinman..... I emailed them about an hour ago.... No reply yet

Last edited:
Back