How do you ship wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trying to ship a couple of bottles of wine to a friend and went to the local Ship it place in town. They asked what the contents were, I said wine, they said no can do, can't ship wine, only retailers can ship wine.......

So, you guys that have been around here for longer than me, how do you trade bottles with friends? I hate to lie but not sure what to do or how to do this on the up n up.....
smiley5.gif

I suppose I could tell them its "grape juice".........

What's really weird is that NM IS one of the states that you can ship wine to.

Custom Marinades or Home made Vinegars can ship. Just dont use the post office. ;)

Don't try to ship through the postal service. Many people ship through UPS and FEDEX and just don't tell. Make sure the package is packed well and put in a bag if you can in case of breakage. A lot of folks claim it is a marinade or juice like you suggest. If you are really concerned about shipping it for whatever reason- just don't send it to your friend. I bet they would understand your reluctance. I sweat it out every year I send wine to the Winemaker Competition, and that only travels across the lake!

There is another ship it place in town so I can give it a try, just not sure what the "best" thing to say it is that won't elicit further questioning.....

Plus, I certainly don't want the package to just "disappear" off the UPS radar screen like it was confiscated or something.

The box I am shipping in is a box from K&L Wine so its like PERFECT for shipping a couple of bottles that are 100% protected in a custom fit styrofoam container.........

I guess I will give the other place a shot this afternoon.
smiley29.gif

Tell them its maple syrup (make something non alcoholic up) in glass containers. Heavy and fragile. Nuff said...........

problem solved.......... love it when a plan comes together........

I shipped out five packages over the last month by Fedex. If you have a Kinko's they will ship it Fedex for you. If asked, which is not normal I tell them it is vinegar.

Forgive me Father Al for I have sinned. It will be weeks before I do it again! The Nuns always told me to be what you're going to be but be good at it. Damn I'm good at being bad!

I have always shipped UPS and only once did a bottle break out of about 50 shipments. They actually opened up the package, cleaned everything else up and then continued the shipment on time!!!!!!! The bottles even had my wine labels on them! I always say marinades.

Would this thread qualify then as a conspiracy?

I should have known better than to try ship wine with a Mormon owned "Ship It" outfit. Nice little lady but she wasn't about to bend the rules to ship my wine. No way, no how.....
smiley24.gif

home made preserves is what we call it. Drink enough of it and it preserves you!

I always use Fed Ex. If asked I state cooking marinades. I only get asked at a local contract shipping store. If I go directly to the local Fed Ex office I have never been asked.

Latest posts

Back