How Do You Age Your Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your primary aging vessel type?

• Oak Barrels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stainless

• Glass

• Flex Tank

• Other/describe in your post

• Total voters
For the larger batches I have used stainless15 gallon beer kegs. For six gallon it's been glass or soda kegs. I purchased two 40 liter barrels this winter. One of them will get 2008 chardonnay when it comes out of the stainless. The other will be used next fall for something.
As to a preference, I love the smell in a barrel room, oak and wine were made for each other.

Jeff

Jeff, let us know what differences you see in your wine as a result of the barrel aging, when the time comes! What kind of wood are we talking about?

Your suppose to age wine????
smiley3.gif

Actually, I guess bottle aging would be considered glass, wouldn't it????

I always laugh in the Movie "The Jerk' when Navin say's....
Oh, and bring us some fresh wine, none of this old stuff."
[Or something like that.]

Al, they are Hungarian oak made by Vadai. The Chardonnay was fermented in year old French oak. We put it in stainless for the M/F and the clearing stages.There's not nearly enough oak enough for the wife so I'm going to put it in a new barrel for a spell, maybe until next harvest.

Jeff

appleman, she is dang near an Okie, born in Amarillo Texas. My mama told me I was conceived in Oklahoma, so it makes sence she would like an Oakie.

Latest posts

Back