How Do You Age Your Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your primary aging vessel type?

• Oak Barrels

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stainless

• Glass

• Flex Tank

• Other/describe in your post

• Total voters

AlFulchino

Winemaker of 30+ years
Reaction score
Please share what aging vessels you are currently using AND what others you have used in the past.

Please name sizes and brands and types where applicable.

Please explain why you have changed from one to another or where you are now in your aging practices.

Mention the following factors in a comparative manner:

Ability to Deliver or Receive Oak,
Beauty/tradition,
Contamination,
Cost per gallon as a factor,
Evaporation
Ease of cleaning and maintaining,
Micro-oxygenation,
Size,
Winemaking Flexibility
And anything else you would like to mention.

glass,---. It is simple and easy, cheap, good size , no contamination, I can add oak, ..... No worrys!--- I wish that I was not so simple.

Glass for now 6-6 gallons, 3-5's, 2-3's, 5-1's, 3-3 liter jugs.

Eventually will get some SS variable capacity tanks and move on to grapes but just dont have the resources now. I like them for their easy clean ability, the fact that you dont have to worry about topping up, and you can taste when ever you want and just drop the lid down more if you want to try our share some with another visitor as was done with me recently.

Glass is my only option as of now.....

Who knows what the future will bring? I was only 5 numbers off of the powerball last night. (I had the powerball correct) Damn that person in Indiana for stealing my winnings
smiley36.gif

I've used glass up to this point, but I will be getting a 40L Vadai barrel this coming week and plan on aging my reds in oak - at least for starters. Depending on how things go with this barrel, I plan is to acquire additional barrels down the road.

- GL63

My whites go straight to kegs after clearing for 6 - 12 months. My non grape pack reds will sit in glass for 6 months then get kegged for at least 9 months. My grape pack kits stay in glass for a year then get kegged for a year or more. The extra gallon gets bottled so we can sample. Homemade wines and meads will depend on the amount made (I make a lot of gallon batches).
I like using kegs they are light weight when empty, I don't close my eyes and pray when they bang together, they are easy to pick up when full, they are easier to store when full or empty. We have they ability to bottle directly from the keg or just serve from the keg. And they are cheap.
I would love to get a barrel for ports, but it will be a while.
VPC

Wade, how do you know if i voted or not???

all- it seems glass is so very under rated...i think we all wish or dream about oak barrels....but considering our average volume and desire to make so many different types of wine, it is no wonder that glass reigns supreme.

Also the ease with which we can clean cannot be matched.

Grant, I am really looking forward to what you have to say about your new barrel after you have had time to use it.

haha, ok i voted...but i have 12 carboys going..and i love them too!

Currently all Better Bottles, 6 and 3 gallon. Someday I'd like to get an oak barrell. It's on my wish list.

Aging all in glass. Do not have room for oak barrels. I like to only make 12 gallons max of any particular wine. Problem is I make to many different wines to make enough to barrel age the wine.

moto girl.....what is your motivation for wanting a barrel? what is the draw? for me, it would be the tradition..i would be curious to hear from a barrel using winemaker who felt that other aging vessels were no match for barrels....other than micro-ox and delivering oak what else does a barrel deliver other than tradition?

Tepe, i think you speak for many a winemaker...variety and exploring the many wines is an education all to itself

wade...no need to watch me :)

Yes Al,
That's why I go for variety not quanity. With the wine club I and "Joeswine" belong to we are constently coming up with tasting and making "different: wines.
smiley20.gif

Latest posts

Back