How a grape berry develops

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Hi all - somehow I got on a weekly newsletter www.overthegrapevine.com and this was a pretty good article so I post it for you to enjoy: I AM NOT ENDORSING OR MARKETING THIS IN ANY WAY! For informative purposes only.

This week I want to tell you how a grape berry develops.

The development of a grape berry happens in four phases during a singleseason. Each of these phases plays an important role in the developmentof quality grapes and berry size.

Phase 1

Phase 1 starts as soon as blooming ends and the berries start growing insize. The duration of this stage is ten days and ends when the firstgrape-stones (pips) develop.

During phase one, there is very little increase in the size of the berries and all the unfertilized flowers aborts from the vine, leaving only fertile berries on the clusters.

Phase 2

The duration of phase two is about three to six weeks, depending on theclimate conditions and variety.

Pips start to develop and cell division start takingplace.Because of cell division, the berry increase in size at a phenomenal rate and photosynthesis takes place inside the berries itself.

Phase 3

The start of Phase 3 starts as soon as there is a decrease in rate the berries gain size and the duration of this phase is about two to four weeks,again depending on the climate and variety. The main characteristic ofthis phase is veraison (coloring) of the berries.

Phase 4

After cell division ends, the cells of the berry start to increase in size(cell enlargement). During phase two, the increase in size were because of cell division but in phase four increase in berry size is because of cell enlargement. The grape vine needs enough water during this phase.If there is as a lack of water, the grape vine abstract moisture from theberries and this will result in a smaller berry size.

During phase four, the accumulation of carbohydrate (mainly glucose, fructose and sucrose) takes place and forms part of the ripening of the fruit.

All of these phasesplay an important role in the development of alarge grape berry. There are ways to ensure that you get a large enoughberry size and it is explained in detail in Over The Grapevine http://overthegrapevine.com/learn.html

What happens during the above mentioned phases?

Sugar Development of grapes:

Phase 1 and 2, there are very little sugar in the berries and almost no fructose is present in the berry, only glucose. The berries in phase 1and 2 are acidulous gathering organs of the grape vine.

The total dissolved particles in a grape are mostly sugars and is measured in Brix (degrees Balling) with an instrument called a refractometer. 1*B equals 1 gram of dissolved sugar in 100 ml grape juice.

During phase 4, veraison, the berry changes into a sugar accumulating organand sucrose and fructose levels inside the berry is almost the same. The whole metabolism inside the berry changes and that is why we notice a decrease in the rate of berry enlargement.

The level of fructose increase as the berries ripen until there is a much higher level of fructose inside the berry than there is glucose orsucrose. At this stage the berries are ripe. Leaving the clusters on the vine will result in an to high level of fructose and this is when the grapes get overripe.

Acid development inside a berry:

Tartaric acid and malic acid are the two main forms of acid in a grape and is responsible for more than 90% of the total acids levels. Citric acid is the third most important form of acid in a grape but it is only 0.02 to 0.03% of the total acids.

There are more than 20 different kinds of acid in a grape, but they are present in very low quantities inside a grape.

During phase one and two, tartaric acid and malic acid levels in the berry is very high and starts to decrease at the beginning of phase three of berry development. The reason why the acid levels inside a grape berry decrease is mainly because of the conversion of acids into sugars by the vine, the dilution of acids because of the change in volume of the berry and an increase in the respiratory usage of acids, by the vine.

The level of acid inside a berry is measured in pH and plays an important role in the development of coloring pigments (especially in red wines) and fortaste. A table grape with very low acids, normally has a lower shelf life than one with a bit higher level of acid. Overripe grapes will have avery short shelf life.

The aroma development:

We often hear wine lovers say a wine has a great aroma. Where does this aroma come from?

There are two groups of aroma you find in wine:

1. <LI>Natural which is formed inside the grape and gives the wine a natural aroma
    <LI>Fermentation aromas which isformed by the fermentation cells</LI>

The total aroma content of a wine is about 0.8 to 1.0 gram / liter, depending on the cultivar and climate in which the vine is grown. The precursor of the natural aroma of a wine is produced inside the leaf of the vine and transported to the grape berries.

Coloring

A wine gets its color from coloring agents found in the hypoderm, just underneath the skin of the berry. The green color of berries that is not ripe yet, comes from chlorophyll inside the skin of these berries.Because there are no coloring pigments inside the skin of a white wine, it has no color and therefore there is no use keeping the skins and juice together while fermentation is in progress, but with red wines, just the opposite happens.

I hope enjoyed this newsletter and will talk to you soon.

Chris Bowman

That's a really interesting article. Is it all true and correct? Is there anything controversial in that description - that is, is any of that information disputed by knowledgeable folks (i.e., viticulturists)?

I'd like to believe it's all correct, but not knowing the author at all, I am reminded that I learned not everything you find on the internet is totally accurate.
smiley2.gif

Bart

Bart you can believe it. The actual process is much more involved than that quick description. You will always get somebody to disagree with any one thing, but the overall article is well summed up.

Appleman,
You're definitely someone I would consider knowledgeable on these matters. So, if you say it's accurate, then I know it's good as gold. Thanks.

Bart

Latest posts

Back