How 2 store bottles w/synthetic corks?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toothfairy425

Junior
Reaction score
Help...I just bottled 90 bottles of wine w/ synthetic corks. Do they need to be stored on their side....or can they be stored upright? Thanks for any help

I would store them on their side even though I dont think they need to be. The only reason i say this is that Ive heard that they leak alot and storing them on their side will expose the leakers and you will want to seek them out and fix that problem whether that be drink them or recork them. Ive heard to many stories about the synthetics having problems with not sealing properly with our conventional corkers. It may be a certain brand, size or bottle used but beware. They could be all good in your case

I think it would depend on what corker you used, a local shop here warns that the Portuguese corker scores the corks, causing leaker's, and recommends the Italian model.

I have the Portguese corker and use Nomacorks, which are synthetic and all mine are laying on their sides with no leakers, yet. The guy I bought mine from told me he'd used both Portuguese and Italian and had good results with both, so I went for the nylon Iris and less expensive model. I am just now reading the details on product description and they now have verbiagethat recommends to not use synthetic corks with it...but now I'm stuck and guess I'll have to either sell it on e-bay and buy the Italian or buy natural corks...crud!

The person who I refer to having problems with synthetics as using an Italian corker.

Hi Wade,

Thanks...that makes me feel better...I guess I'll keep using my Portuguese until I have a problem.

Just keep an eye on them please and keep Georges perfect agglomerate corks in mind if they do fail cause these are the best corks in my opinion. They are custom made for George

I've used a Portuguese floor corker on the rubber like supreme corks and nomacorks. I have several bottles that have been on their side for several months with no problems.

As long as the iris is adjusted well, with no pinch lines on the corks, they will be fine with either italiana or portuguese corkers. If you see a crease in the synthetic corks, it means that your corker iris is out of alignment and will cause leakers with synthetics. Real corks are not usually prone to poorly aligned corkers as they bounce back into shape much faster.

I have 3 corkers, and 1 really causes leakers, while the other two do not with synthetics. I've since switched to Altec corks and have been very happy with those.

Latest posts

Back