Hot Weather Options

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwatson

Reaction score
I have asked this question before, but I would like to further explore my options.

The temperature in my closet is generally at 78 F, and may bump up to 80 F at times. I have have a WE LE Barolo, AJ Chianti, and RJS Super Tuscan bulk aging and approaching the 3 month mark in the carboy. Would leaving them in that environment with proper sulfites hurt them?

Should I:

1. Not worry and bulk age longer (maybe another 3 months).

2. Add fining agents (superkleer) and then bottle. I am concerned about sediment continuing to drop in the bottle, especially the barolo and super tuscan.

3. Add fining agents then cold stabilize the wines to drop out tartrate crystals and then bottle.

After botting, I have a wine storage fridge that will keep the bottles at 53 F.

Thanks for the help.

I wouldnt worry about that too much as long as its a fairly stable temp. Just keep an eye on the airlock fluid as it can evaporate fairly quick at higher temps. I would cold stabilize them though if you are worried about wine diamonds later. Many Many people in the warmer ares deal with those temps and make very good wine bulk aging much longer then what you stated. If the temps were getting higher then that Id be a little more concerned but I wouldnt worry about those temps much.

I appreciate your valued advice Wade. I am not to worried about the cosmetics of wine diamonds, but will those 2 wines I mentioned benefit (in terms of taste) from cold stabilization?

I dont think it needs it. These are pretty balanced kits unlike from juice buckets or from grapes where it may need this done. The only reason I would cold stabilize this wine is to prevent or lessen the diamond fall out.

Thanks...anything to make the process simpler causes me to make more wine!

Latest posts

Back