Hoop House

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rrawhide

Reaction score
Morn' everyone

Well, needed some covered storage behind the barn and after pondering; thinking; genuflecting; assimulating and passing gas this is what we came up with:

20100821_141137_Hoop_house_001.jpg

A HOOP HOUSE!!!!

Al probably has lots of these around his nursery - but they can be used for other things....

These are made from 4 X 16 welded wire livestock panels. All I did was take a piece of 2x6 and stake in the ground. I used rebar sections and hammered 4 on the outside and 3 on the inside for the frame. Held the panel in the middle and let it hang - putting one end on the ground inside the wood. The did the other end the same way. Now we have a hoop! Decided to make it 16 feet long and 8 feet wide. With the wood at 8 feet apart on the ground the 16' panel is 6' high.

I secured the 4' sections together with wire wraps and they became very strong. You get a little side-to-side movement but no fore and aft movement.

Covered with a camo tarp from Harbor Freight and we have shaded storage. The hoop on the left side is a little closer than 8' so I could get a little more height for the tractor.

Total cost - for me 1 tarp and 1 bag of bungy cords since I had everthing here. But, the panels cost about $25 each and a 8X15 tarp $13 and a bag of cords $6. And the neat thing is you can make them any length you wish just by adding panels and wood for the base and you can take them down and move them too!!!

20100821_141227_Hoop_house_002.jpg

20100821_141343_Hoop_house_003.jpg

20100821_141508_Hoop_house_004.jpg

Now, I will have covered storage for all the wine stuff after harvest and one for my tractor too. I may even make some conctete block shelves at one end for other stuff.

Just an idea for ya'll - maybe someone can use some cheap and portable storage and this is one way to do it.

Later

rrawhide

WINE under Camo... Is that to keep the "feds" from seeing how much you make ... LOL !
smiley1.gif

Looks like it will work great, can also grow cucumbers up the panels and the cukes will hang down through the openings. Win win

Latest posts

Back