Hole in the lid of the Primary Bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also to note and get us back on track once I snap on my lid with airlock I rotate the entire bucket around (NOT SPIN) to release CO2 to help protect the must. I also stir prior to applying the lid.

I've given up on what to do with the hole and switched to the towel. I've been so inspired by the picture and all the apostle jokes (very funny!) that I have decided to ferment more 1 Gallon batches and use them as Christmas decorations. I needed a reason to ferment something, now I've got it. My family won't think I'm nuts will they?

Place your buckets outside each season and you will be the hit of the neighborhood. Neighbors will say his manger scene just keeps getting bigger and bigger each year.

I've given up on what to do with the hole and switched to the towel. I've been so inspired by the picture and all the apostle jokes (very funny!) that I have decided to ferment more 1 Gallon batches and use them as Christmas decorations. I needed a reason to ferment something, now I've got it. My family won't think I'm nuts will they?

A little shepherds staff and perhaps a beard and you're good to go.:i
Larry

Shepherds staff.jpg

a racking cane could be the sheperds stick you could use trash cans for the cattle you know the brutes

We could nominate any number of folks here for wise men (wise person would probably be more appropriate) but it is too difficult to narrow the list down to only 3. ;)

Only in a Winemaking Discussion Forum can you go from "What's this hole in the lid of my bucket for?" to nominating Wise Men for a Nativity Scene! Proof that there is no lack of creativity here or lack of wine.

Are the lid's seals water tight? It seems like you could use a hole in the lid with a spigot and just turn the bucket on its side or upsidedown for bottling. That way you can forget about a hole in the side.

Aren't we all turning water into wine?

You really don't want to move the bucket around a whole lot when your racking to a secondary, all the lees will get mixed in and defeats the purpose of racking!

Now that is my kind of Nativity Scene!

Wise Men; Tom, Wade, Luc are the ones i remember!

You really don't want to move the bucket around a whole lot when your racking to a secondary, all the lees will get mixed in and defeats the purpose of racking!

The hole in my lid is just so I can put an airlock in it. Three days ago my 2 six gal. primaries of pineapple were just under 1.000 I gave them bath a good stir even lifting up the lees in the bottom. I then snapped on the lid and added an airlock. It immediately began bubbling from the CO2 that I had just released.

Today the gravity reading was .990 and I racked and cleared the wine. Then naturally almost instinctively started a pineapple skeeter pee.

Back