Hole in the lid of the Primary Bucket

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineyTexan

Reaction score
Ok, I'm really embarrassed about this question and trust me I have searched the forum to see if anyone might have asked it before. So here goes...
I'm fermenting a small batch of must in a 1 Gallon bucket. There is a small hole on the top of the lid. Should I cover the hole? I don't have an air lock that will fit it. In the past I have started my musts in larger fermenting buckets and just laid a towel over the top.

The few batches of wine I have made so far I have transferred to Carboys after about 1 week and attached an airlock. Do some of you keep your wine in the primary fermenter and attach an airlock?

I would plug the hole with something like a rolled up paper towel.

I make 1 gallon batches also and have never used the lid. I just cover the bucket with a clean cloth. This has worked fine for me.

Larry

Fermenter%20bucket%20cover.jpg

If your going to snap the lid on tight your going to have to leave the hole open so your co2 can escape!!!

A cotton ball can cover the hole well. While it's actively fermenting you only really need to worry about fly's etc, getting in. Once that slows down and there isn't CO2 protecting your wine then you need the airlock.

Then why not just use an airlock on the bucket? I did and still haven't got a straight answer on this. Some say the yeast needs air, but I don't really see how that little hole is going to give it any. So long as you are stirring it twice a day wouldn't using an air lock be just fine?

While on the subject, I only left about 2 or 3 inches of head space in the bucket and never had it foam out or anything using Champain yeast. Is it that the champain yeast doesn't foam as bad as others? If so, what yeasts do I need to watch out for foam from?

I use an air lock during fermentation although it is not necessary. Once your must is down to about 1.015 you definitely want to consider an air lock and you're wine finishes up. As said earlier the very least you want to keep it covered to keep the critters out:)

if your pushing must twice a day then it will get plenty of air or should I use an airlock on some and just cut a hole in the middle of some with a cloth under the hole.

I have been using an airlock on primary fermentation for many years now and havent had any problems at all. I do open the lid once a day and either push the fruit down or stir up the msut to get some 02 in there. When fermenting wine or beer you should have much extra volme in the primary bucket so as to have plenty of 02 in there.

This season I have drilled 3/8 inch holes in my lids which will accomodate a #2 bung and airlock. During primary fermentation I will lay a sheet of paper over it (hole) and maybe write a note just for reference. (I have many primaries going on at one time so it's easier to jot a quik note then transfer to paperwork later if needed.) Once the gravity reaches below 1.000 I'll give my must a good stir then snap on the lid with the airlock in place. Few days later check gravity and most likely rack.

Getting oxygen into liquid is not necessarily from stirring. Most oxygen gets into liquid by coming in contact upon the top of the liquid, not by adding bubbles or stirring under. Some does but the majority does not.

Stirring/punching down keeps the top layer wet even in the case of no fruit, the top layer of sediment/skins/pulp will dry out. Pushing hem down prevents the onset of oxidation.

I make 1 gallon batches also and have never used the lid. I just cover the bucket with a clean cloth. This has worked fine for me.
attachment.php

Larry

That primary looks like a shepard. Get a few more going and you could build yourself a manger scene.

Last edited:
Are the lid's seals water tight? It seems like you could use a hole in the lid with a spigot and just turn the bucket on its side or upsidedown for bottling. That way you can forget about a hole in the side.

Aren't we all turning water into wine?

Back