Hodgepodge Mead

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

closetwine

Advanced Idiot
Reaction score
I'm thinking of a lemon-orange mead... Maybe with some spice added. This is just a brainstorm right now but any thoughts? Or suggestions?

I'm thinking of a lemon-orange mead... Maybe with some spice added. This is just a brainstorm right now but any thoughts? Or suggestions?

go for it...honey and lemons have gone together before in teas and such...and orange peels have been used many times in mead before, along with and alone from other spices

Mik I knew you'd say something like that! LOL! Got any addition of spices that might be nice?

If you go with any cloves keep it to a minimum as they over power way too easy!!!! Maybe a little Coriander?

If you go with any cloves keep it to a minimum as they over power way too easy!!!! Maybe a little Coriander?

I was thinking a little rosemary... I dunno why, just was. But yeah I'll go easy on whatever I end up doin...:i

yeah, cloves are VERY VERY strong watch out for them..but as for me..i LOVVVVVVVVVVE cloves.......so uhm yeah ><

LOL I love cloves too... but not this batch I'm out.... Maybe cinnamon, I'll have to check and see what I got I guess. LOL!

Got it rollin' no spices as of yet... Maybe some in secondary? Thought about adding a caramel apple tea bag or two to it, but changed my mind for now.... Thinkin' cinnamon stick in secondary...

Well there's no reason why not giving it, or anything a go really.

My most recent batch of "clearing out the cupboard" mead, was because some tins of broken mandarin segments I bought to try in a wine recipe, well one of the tins had blown and left a trail of black sludge where the syrup had dripped etc.

So I just cleaned up the mess, took the other 7 small tins of the fruit and mixed them, a kilo of "Mexican Clear honey" and a 900g tin of grape concentrate up. The fermentibles were mixed up to a total of 6 litres volume (tap water) and I added 2 teaspoons of FermaidK.

The gravity was 1.130, so I just sprinkled a pack of D21 on top of it and let it go.

The lag phase was about 2 days, but then it took another 3 to hit just under the 1/3 break, so another teaspoon of the fermaidk and 1/2 tsp of DAP, along with the usual daily aeration and within a week it had got to 1.010, and was at 1.008 when I racked it off the fruit the following day.

Now I have no idea about what to use spices-wise with this, but once it's dropped most of the sediment, I'm thinking that I might just drop a half of a vanilla pod into it....... while it clears......

Mine took off like crazy, I'll check sg later on it... After thinking about it I don't think I will add spices... It has almost a mimosa flavor right now. Mom loves mimosa's and her b-day is coming up... Since it's a 1/2 gal, I may just give most of it to her. (After a good tasting of course.)

Latest posts

Back