Hillbilly Carboy Cleaner

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rube-a-Billy

Reaction score
Well I gave a carboy a long soak and went to rinse it out last night. I could still see a film on the sides so I did a little scrubbing with a carboy brush. it still needed something that offered a little more muscle. I had some zip ties and an old t-shirt sitting on the shelf next to me and a got ta tink'n.
Hillbilly Carboy Cleaner

materials: for 6 gallon carboy most other sizes should be able to use the same

2 -7 inch zip ties could be longer probably not shorter

1 -piece of (straight) racking cane or firm material of choice that will reach bottom of carboy and fit inside your drill

1- waste band of a t-shirt just a little longer then the diameter of your carboy

1- 1 in. piece of tubing that will fit over the racking cane etc, this will give a little more grip for the zip ties.
1- narrowed mouth water bottle with the bottom cut off

This is version 1. i'm still thinking about a way to make this more efficient, using a larger piece of cloth to make this go faster. but it works

Place tubing on end of racking cane. Then insert the pointed end of one of the zip ties into the other end of the other zip tie, then the same with the other ends. Tighten equally around the tubing at the end of the raking cane.
Make a small slit in in the middle of the waste band through the first layer of cloth

20081217_084854_1.jpg

Slide the ends of the zip ties into opposite ends of the slit in the waste band. Continue to feed the tie into the waste band.

20081217_085209_2.jpg

It will look something like this.

20081217_085620_3.jpg

-next feed the rod through the water bottle so the mouth of the bottle is closest to the zip ties. This will offer some support and keep the drill and rod from hitting the mouth of the carboy.
20081217_090030_4.JPG

-place some cleaner and water in the bottom of the carboy.

-roll the band and zip ties around the rod and feed into the top of the carboy.

-attach to drill and your off !

-keep the drill speed very slow so the cloth doesn’t get wrapped around the rod. You may also have to reverse the directions once the zip ties start to take form.

-slowly move your hillbilly cleaner up and down scrubbing the inside.

Note this really only cleans the sides, the carboy brush seems to work well on the bottom but I had trouble on the sides.

Quick, easy, cheap and good enough for now. eventually i will buy one of those Turbo bottle/carboy scrubbers but till then...
Rube

Edited by: Rube-a-Billy

I'd love to see a picture of your creation. I take it that it did the job.

Monty

ok hold back the laughs.

it took me 300 times longer to put up this post (newbie) than it did to make this crude cleaner. Edited by: Rube-a-Billy

Great Idea
smiley32.gif
smiley20.gif

Rube-a-Billy said:
it took me 300 times longer to put up this post (newbie) than it did to make this crude cleaner.

No good deed goes unpunished!!
smiley36.gif

I have to say, this is genius!
smiley32.gif
Well done! I like this far better than the brush inside of the carboy. I just HATE the sound of the metal on glass.
smiley5.gif
This has to be better inside of Better Bottles too.

Latest posts

Back