High Gloss Wine Labels

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Xyron900001.jpg

You put your page in and turn the crank as fas or slow as you want so you have full comtrol. I used regular copy paper to print my labels.

Xyron900003.jpg

It comes out the other side.

Xyron900004.jpg

The little orange thing on the left is a cutter. It slides back and forth in a slot and allows you to cut at the exact end of your page so you aren't wasting materials.

Xyron900007-1.jpg

I think you can see the sheen on them. I'm very pleased!

This was an experiment. When I know I'm going to use it, I will try and have several different labels to do at once as you can feed your copy paper close to each other and not waste any material. It will work on anything up to 9 inches wide. These labels are 5 X 4". I flipped them on the page to make cutting them easier. Using a scissors is fine but a paper cutter will probably be my next purchase!
smiley1.gif

Now that is a great Idea....That would be worth the investment..Does it put a gloss on the front and adhesive on the back?

I just sacrificed a label to test it. I was a little afraid the laminate would be too heavy to allow the label to bend around the bottle but that's not an issue. It went right on. And because the sticky side is repositionable, it peels right off in one piece. I would imagine the permanent glue variety cartridged label would take as much work to get off as any commercial label.

Now that looks really cool. How does it work? Plug right into you computer?

Yep, that's the cartridge I used, Coaster. I figured out how many labels I need to make and bought 2 of them!

Wade, it doesn't plug into anything. No electricity, no heat, no nothin'! You just turn the little crank on it. The paper gets picked up, is fed between the layers, and it comes out the other side. Sweet and simple!

Edited by: Joan

Okay so you have to print out what you need from your printer and shove them through this huh, pretty neat.

Has anyone ever used the transparent labels???

Would be neat on clear bottles with a great color of wine inside....those might peel off...any ideas????

NW, I just printed 30 labels for my Scuppernong wine on ($29) clear labels (8.5" X 11" Sheets). They printed well, but the label is not clear at all. I couldn't tell, due to the white peel off paper on the back, but thePaper is like a "frosted" paper, That had many air bubbles under it when applied to the bottle. In trying to smoth it out, I smudged the print. I was very displeased with this.

I wonder if you could print labels on transparency film used on overhead projectors instead of paper then run them thru the Xyron with the laminate on one side and sticky stuff on the back. If you printed them on a laser printer, you wouldn't need the laminate!Hmmm.... interesting idea!

Ouch! That stuff's not cheap! I found these that seem to be built for color.

http://www.staples.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StaplesProductDisplay?prodCatType=1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10051&langId=-1&productId=105085&cmArea=SEARCH

If you need a glossy/waterproof label..on a budget...how about printing the label in printer paper, apply it with glue-stick and then put some clear Contact paper over it...That I can afford...Would work great on our sparkling wines that get sweaty after refridgeration....Going to try that on wines we give away or share at dinners....:>D

Unless it's changed over the years, I think contact paper is manical! I have never gotten it to do what I wanted!

Joan said:
Unless it's changed over the years, I think contact paper is manical! I have never gotten it to do what I wanted!

I cover cook books and other books with it all the time, as well as maps and patterns...also have covered wine tags, then I use a waterbase pen and can remove the wine name and reuse the tags.....it is kind of opaque tho...Edited by: Northern Winos

I bought the laminater from the joann site and made some Ice Wine labels with it tonite. They sure look nice, only downside is they won't stick to the etched (frosted) bottles I have 8O( Next time I'll try the permenent backing for the etched bottles. Seems to work fine on the smooth glasss bottles.

Jobe,

I had the same result.

I used clear labels on a Pinot Grigio about a year ago with pretty much the same results, forsting an too many bubbles. As a result I have given up on it. I think in Photoshop if you use a transparent background rather than white you can get rid of the frosting but the bubbles still remain a problem.

I'm going to try the Fedex Kinko route on my next batch of labels..

I've kind of gotten into a rut on labels. I found a basic design I liked and just changed the name and the bottle date for each batch.
Then last night I bottled a 2005 Sicilian Grillo which came with very nice labels. It looks so good on the rack next to my crummy old labels that I decided to go back and do another design.

I received one of the new 10L WE kits, an Australian Shiraz which went in the primary yesterday (I had a busy day bottling one and starting the next). This morning, in between cleaning the refrigerator, I put together a label for the Shiraz.

20061123_090836_shiraz.jpg

Latest posts

Back