Other High end kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tarpon230

Reaction score
I have been doing the buckets from Chile and Cali and would like to start a high end kit with skins. What one should I get? Has to be red. Thanks

I did the Cellar Craft Sterling Pinot Noir with a grape pack. $100. It is a very good wine. Just sayin.

premier super Tuscan, stag leap merlot all great kits.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

The stirling pinot has a grape pack?

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Evidently, yes:

From MoreWine:
Cellar Craft's Sterling Collection red wine kits are the only budget-level red wine kits on the market that include a "virgin," never-processed crushed grape pack to include in the fermentation. Made entirely from region-specific varietal juice and concentrate, and skins from the same harvest lots that the juice comes from, these kits produce a true varietal wine on a short timeline! Designed to be bottled in 5-6 weeks, these kits will benefit from an additional 6-12 months of cellaring in the bottle.
Makes 6 gallons, or 2 cases, of finished wine

Cellar Craft's Description

We use 10.5 liters of California Pinot Noir must (and an accent of Pinotage) fermented on a 1.5 liter virgin California Pinot Noir crushed grape pack for this bright and fruity wine. Expect to enjoy lively black cherry and cranberry aromas and flavours against subtle spice and almond in the background. A few months of ageing will subdue the oak and tannins to let the fruit shine and define the medium-length finish. May be cellared for a year or more. The soft, light to medium-bodied wine may be lightly chilled and enjoyed as an aperitif, or serve with chicken, pork, or simple beef dishes (not recommended for your best steaks or rich, braised foods). Pairs well with salmon.

I made this kit last year and it did not have a grape pack, so a grape pack is new for this year. I have make 2 of these Pinot Noir kits and they are very good and I have had one in a carboy since November and will bottle it in May.

Sent from my iPad using Wine Making

Of all varietals to add a grape pack to a cheap kit, I am a bit surprised at Pinot. My WE LE Oregon Pinot did not have a grape pack (although it had 18L juice). Thanks for the recommendation -- I will have to make this Sterling kit to see how they compare! Especially since there is no CC Showcase Pinot noir.

I made the Sterling Pinot per directions, Except I left it in the primary on the skins for 7 days. Made it in August and it very good already.

I saved the skins, froze them and used them in a Paklab pinot. It helped.

I think if you stay with a major vendor and stick to one of their grape skin pack kits you'll likely hit a home run.

I've now bought 3 RJ Spagnols Winery Series kits but have only had the Washington Merlot mature. I can recommend the the kit. Next RJS grape skin kit I try will be in the Grand Cru International Collection series of kits. My thinking is I may be paying extra with the WS or EP series for 6 liters of water and directions that add a few more weeks before bottling. [Frugal I am!] :mny

I have made a number of the RJS En Primeur and Winery Series kits and I prefer the Winery Series. They taste fantastic and seem to need less time aging before they come into their own.

Also just bottled the WE Eclipse Cab Sauv and it is perhaps the best cab I have made so far and it is only 8 months old.

cheers

I have made a number of the RJS En Primeur and Winery Series kits and I prefer the Winery Series. They taste fantastic and seem to need less time aging before they come into their own.

Also just bottled the WE Eclipse Cab Sauv and it is perhaps the best cab I have made so far and it is only 8 months old.

cheers

Sounds great. Just in clearing stage with my WS super. Added ft rouge tannin to primary and small piece of French oak spiral. Can't wait to taste this kit

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Of all varietals to add a grape pack to a cheap kit, I am a bit surprised at Pinot. My WE LE Oregon Pinot did not have a grape pack (although it had 18L juice). Thanks for the recommendation -- I will have to make this Sterling kit to see how they compare! Especially since there is no CC Showcase Pinot noir.

I enjoy the CC Showcase line and wish they offered a Pinot. They discontinued the Premium line which had a 16L Cali Pinot, but I have heard good things about and will eventually try the Sterling Pinot Noir.

Latest posts

Back