Hi

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whino-wino

Reaction score
Don't know how I missed this forum here. I've been getting all of my stuff from George since 2004 and never saw it. Guess I wasalways too busy drooling over everything in the catalog and never noticed the forum. In short, I'm new to the forum but not new to the site. I'm seeing a lot of good discussion and will be participating quite a bit now that I know it's here.

Oh,

Chalk up one more Minnesotan. I see there are quite a few of us here, but I think I know why. There's nothing else to do when it's -25°F and the wind is blowing at 30 - 40 mph.

Welcome. Glad to have some one else with experience to help us rookies out.

Welcome fellow MINNESOTAN. What kinds of wine are you making ? Where abouts are you located?

Current batches in-process:

2 gallons of Apple wine (from organic juice, no preservatives added. It even came in 1 gallon glass jugs so I got 2 more carboys!)

2 gallons pomegranite (used 100% pure pomegranite juice, didn't have a recipe so I winged it. looking good so far.)

1 gallon clementine wine

6 gallons sauvignon blanc (Mosti Mondiale All Juice Kit, couldn't pass on the January special)

2 gallons Sand Cherry (picked at mymother/father in law'splace last summer)

1 gallon ruby red grapefruit (just wanted to try something different)

3 gallons strawberry (strawberries picked, vacuum sealed and frozen last summer from a nearby U-Pick strawberry farm)

5 gallons of old "Old Vine" zinfandel (long story here, I'll post it somewereand ask for feedback on this one)

I'm thinking ofstarting a batch of wildblueberry this week. I only have four 1 gallon carboys available but enough berries for 5 gallons. Not sure what to do about that. I might wait until my strawberry is done so I have my 3 gallon carboy at my disposal and just keep some berries for muffins and pancakes.

I am located just south of Bagley, MN. Bagley is 28 miles west of Bemidji on US Hwy 2.

Welcome to the Forum Whino, nice selection you got going there...your right, what else are we gonna do?
smiley36.gif

Howdy Whino-wino! It looks like you have about the same fruits as Northern Winos -NW and JWMinnesota. Great minds think alike and apparently that's what grows good there. Great news, only 2-3 more months of winter! Do you live in the country too where you can grow your own or do you live in a big city of 50 folks or so?

Welcome fellow Whino from Minnesota...glad to see you here. Ahhh, North Central Minnesota...the land of Blue Berries....
smiley4.gif

We loved the Sand Cherry wine too...as well as wine from Nanking Cherries and Chokecherries...

Will be fun having you here....Edited by: Northern Winos

Hi Whino.

Glad that you noticed the forum!!! Happy that you are here to share your fermentations with us.

Welcome................Ramona

Welcome to the forum! We'll be driving through Bagley tomorrow on our way home from Wonderful Wisconsin.

Welcome Whino, glad to have you aboard here. Thats a nice collection of wine you have going, too many blueberries for wine but a nice batch of Port would utilize all those blueberries.

wade said:
too many blueberries for wine

There's no such thing as too many of anything for wine. You just need to think in terms of BIG BATCHES.
smiley4.gif
I still want to try the port though. That's why I'mleaning towardssplitting it into two batches. I might just have to wait a couple of months until I get some carboys available....either that or just buy couple more 3 gallon carboys (which I'll probably do someday anyhow, why not now?).

PolishWineP said:
Welcome to the forum! We'll be driving through Bagley tomorrow on our way home from Wonderful Wisconsin.

Wherabouts is "home" if you don't mind my asking??

dcrnbrd said:
Welcome. Glad to have some one else with experience to help us rookies out.

I've got a few years of this under my belt, but by no means am I any kind of expert on the subject. The best thing I can offer is to describe what I did every time I screw somethingup (which is often) and let everyone else learn from my mistakes. Chances are I'll repeat the mistakes once or twice before I learn from them (I am quite stubborn), but perhaps by sharing the informationit will save the rest ofyou some headaches.

Welcome Whino to this part of the world. Everyone sure has been helpful to us with all of our questions. Been enjoying this wine making even though we are only on our 2nd.

whino-wino said:
wade said:
too many blueberries for wine

There's no such thing as too many of anything for wine. You just need to think in terms of BIG BATCHES.
smiley4.gif
I still want to try the port though. That's why I'mleaning towardssplitting it into two batches. I might just have to wait a couple of months until I get some carboys available....either that or just buy couple more 3 gallon carboys (which I'll probably do someday anyhow, why not now?).

I agree...more fruit = better flavor...Probably with the exception of ChokeCherries...those are pretty strong...

PolishWineP said:

Yikes...are you in Bagley???? Howdy Neighbor!!!! TheBIG town in the area....it has the only stop light in Clearwater County...Go through there often.

We're up here in Trail...the metropolis of 62 people...No one knows where that is.....
smiley2.gif

PWP is in the city of Warren...She'll be home soon.Edited by: Northern Winos

Geez, us poor South Siders don't have a stop light in town
smiley36.gif
, heck we have four ways that none of the roads even have a stop sign!
smiley3.gif

Northern Winos said:
PolishWineP said:

Yikes...are you in Bagley???? Howdy Neighbor!!!! TheBIG town in the area....it has the only stop light in Clearwater County...Go through there often.

We're up here in Trail...the metropolis of 62 people...No one knows where that is.....
smiley2.gif

PWP is in the city of Warren...She'll be home soon.

Small world. Trail happens to be a favorite stop of many locals (including me) when we go snowmobiling. I also pass through there on my way to the Polaris ind. plant in Roseau, which I visit about twice a month. I don't often get over to Warren though.

Yes Bagley has two claims to fame. One is the aforementioned fact that it is the home of the only stoplight in Clearwater county, which is not a small county by any means. Our second is that the very last sanctioned outdoor hockey game at any level (pee-wee through pro) took place in Bagley, MN. about 10 years ago. In other words, we were the last hockey team in the country to get an indoorhockey arena.

Latest posts

Back