Hi from the Pacific Northwest ...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timber

Reaction score
Hello and Happy Holiday season to you All,

I'm in the hunting and gathering stages of my venture into the wonderful world of winemaking.
Hunting and gathering knowledge and equipment that is ... so I've make no wine yet. (Other than an amusing attempt at making balloon wine some great many years ago).

Currently I have:

6 gal. fermenting bucket with grommet
5 gallon glass carboy.
(2) tight mesh paint strainer bags (5 gallon size)
(6) one gallon glass jugs with screw caps.
Carboy cleaning brush
Drilled stopper for the 1 and 5 gallon carboys
"S" type airlock and a 3 piece airlock
3 scale hydrometer
Racking tube
5' of 5/16" syphon tubing.
Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast (which I seemed to have currently misplaced but will find or purchase more). :tz
Nutrient
Stabilizer
50 Campden tablets
Potassium Meta-Bisulfite for cleaning my equipment.
I probably need to get some pectic enzyme, some acid blend and grape tannin but don't have it yet.

I have 3-4# of blackberries picked this summer (now frozen)

Think I'm getting close, and will be looking for a good but fairly basic recipe for blackberry wine.
All this great information on the web has me gaining confidence to start my first real try at making some wine.

Glad I found this site, it looks and feels like the right place to begin this journey.

Dave
Carson, WA

Welcome Dave, for some reason sometimes when a newcomer posts the first post becomes hidden, must be some kind of spam awareness thing even though there was no spam. It doesnt do it to everyone but did it to you. It shouldnt happen again, just the first post sometimes. Anyway, glad to have you here and we are here to help!

Thanks Wade and ibglowin,

I've got a lot of reading and searching to do here and will try to be somewhat prepared when I get to some questions.
Thanks for the welcome, I'll need the help down the trail.

Dave

Last edited:
Hi Runningwolf, dentedkeg and Flem,

Thanks for the warm welcome, it's nice to know I'll have some help along the way. I have yet to get all my ducks in a row but hope to have a Fermentation going by X-mas ... it would be nice to open a bottle (or jug as the case may be) next year around this time.
A gallon a month until spring when I hope to get my 5 gallon carboy filled and fermenting.

Wines I'd like to try making next year:

Blackberry (or a blend of Blackberries and Blueberries)
Cranberry
Dandelion
Pomegranate
Cabernet Sauvignon (perhaps 5 gal.)

After that:
Pear
Apple
More Cabernet Sauvignon

A bit ambitious perhaps but it's nice to have goals.

Dave

I seem to have a posting glitch again, I tried posting a reply, when it didn't show up I tried again but it indicated it was a duplicate post and wouldn't let me post again.
Assume it will show up sometime ... I'll just let it ferment some more.

Dave

Welcome Dave. This is a really great site. You live in a beautiful area, one of Washington State's best kept secrets down there.

Welcome to the Board, now where the hell is Carson Washington. I thought I know my State better than most. Is that down in the Gorge.

Hi mmadmikes1, WildBill, Flem, dentedkeg and Runningwolf,

Great reception party you've got here ... thanks to all for all the warm welcome.
Yep, I'll be asking some questions with process for sure.
Great to see some fellow Washingtonians here.
Yes, we do love living in Carson it's beautiful and has lots of places to discover.
Carson is at the crossroads of the Columbia River and the Cascade Range ...

Thanks All,

Welcome to the forum. Mite as well get your blackberry fermenting. The sooner you start it, the sooner you can sample it. We do not have blackberries around here that I know of, so have never tried them. Four pounds mite be a little light on flavor, but if they are like elderberries that should be plenty. Get it started and have fun. You might want to get the pectic enzime before you start, tho. Good luck with it, Arne.

Welcome to the forum, Im new here as well but so far Ive been met with all kindness and humor. So Im likeing it pretty good Im sure you will as well.

When it comes to your wine, dont rush it if you dont feel your ready. Short of getting your enzyme imho your more than ready. haha Id say unless you just must wait make it a weekend to start your fermentation, once you get that over with and rack into your glass its mostly watching, waiting, and working on another jug cause you need something to do. lol

Have fun with it as it is very enjoyable, dont be shy and just ask questions. Im no expert, but im sure somebody around here is and plenty of active helpers to answer any question you may ask.

Welcome aboard! I think you can find some good advice on here. Enjoy your new hobby.

Welcome from the great plains!!

I'm going to predict that you'll sooner rather then later start at 5/6 gal batches then the 1 gal! :dg

Hi UBB, robie, North_Ga_Jug-Or-Not and Arne,

Y'all really know how to take the edge off that "first batch" apprehension.
I should have known that a winemaking forum would be filled with helpful, happy campers ... ha!

Since I still haven't found my Red Star Premier Cuvee yeast and should have some Pectic Enzyme and Acid Blend on hand I sent for those today.
If the blackberries I have aren't quite enough I'll add some frozen berries with it.
I think blueberries might make a nice tasting blend if nothing else.
As soon as the yeast arrives I'll get things fermenting and be on my way ... and, no doubt, have questions.

Yes, I too see a 5 gal batch as soon as I feel comfortable with the steps ... ;)

Thanks All,

Last edited:
Yes, once you come to find out that with cleanliness and a quick double check on all measurements it CAN be a cake walk. Granted things can go wrong, but as long as you ask questions then im sure someone here can help before it gets to the all is lost stage. And like previously stated, you'll have at least a 5gal carboy ready to get goin well before this gallon is finished.:)
Just a safe guess, from a fellow addict.

Welcome Timber, good to see more Washingtonians jumping into the wine making fun. Come up to Bremerton, the blackberries are out of control around here with plenty to pick. That blackberri wine is :mny

The berries work better if you freeze them first anyway. When ice forms it brakes open the berries cells. Blackberry is good at 6 pounds per gallon. Dont add acid blend, blackbeeries have more than enough acid in them. Ha Chuck, he lives in W.Washington, have you seen any place in Western Washington where there wasn't all the blackberries you want to pick

Latest posts

Back