Hi from SE PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelleyaynn

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All,

I live in Southeastern PA, about 45 minutes west of Philadelphia. I've been making wine now for about two years, so I'm just starting to get some of the good stuff ready to drink! Just about all of my kits have been Winexpert, and I've been happy with them. The two that weren't were my least favorites. Today I just bottled my WE Limited Release French Gamay Nouveau. Have a Symphony in the secondary - was a Christmas present. I guess I have about 150 to 200 bottles in the "cellar". Looking forward to upping that with the WE limited editions for 2011. I preordered the shiraz/viongier and the primitivo.

I'm a fifth grade/science teacher in a private school in Wilmington, DE. Besides making wine, I also love to make cheese, soap, bread, (any food in general), and I'm starting to make wine vinegar from my supply. I also scrapbook, read, and like to travel (Italy and St. John USVI are my favorites).

Never made any skeeter pee, but heard so much about it, I may have to try some for the summer.

Looking forward to joining the conversation!

Welcome to the forum. I have made Symphony and it is a very good wine. Glad you found us and feel free to ask questions. It nice to have another PA'er on the forum. Another member (jeepinchick) lives down that way and also makes soap.

Just out of curiosity what were the 2 kits you didnt like or liked less.

Welcome,
I think I remember a home brew shop in Lancaster, Chadds Ford and Newark DE. What town you from?

Welcome to a great forum Kelly Aynn. You are not to far from me in York County..

awww dan!! can't believe u remembered i make soap!! (mines just melt n pour, i wanna learn some CP but am afraid to go there alone LMAO) I also scrap and other crafts!!

girl im not to far south of ya!! I live 20 min south of dover. wilminton teacher huh? u know in christiana area there is a pretty good LHBS ??? I put em on the map so if u dont know of em look there! They are in Lourvers (sp) shopping center! we are gonna have to meet up for lunch one weekend!! the notheren PAers do it all the time and I feel left out LOL!!!

Welcome Kelly, science teacher huh? Great another one that can wright those long winded formulas that seem to take hours to decode! JK
Glad to have ya around.

Thanks for the welcome.

The two kits I made were a Vino del Vida Australian Shiraz, and a Cellar Craft or Cellar Classic (can't remember which) Bergamais. The Australian Shiraz just didn't do it for me. Can't put my finger on exactly why. I made a WE VR Bergamais a two years ago and liked it, so I thought I'd try a more premium version. WE doesn't have one, so I found one in another brand. This one had elderberries, and I really didn't like the taste of the elderberries in the wine. I did drink it all :)dg), but mostly because I didn't want it to go to waste, and I don't like heavy reds in the summer.

I pass the Beer and Wine Emporium in Chadds Ford every day on my way to and from work. I have bought some things there (my original fermentation kit and a couple of wine kits), but I buy most of my stuff now from Midwest Supplies. Even with shipping they are generally cheaper, and the customer service is pretty good.

Hey Jeepingchick: I encourage you to try making CP soap. A lot of people make it out to be more intimidating than it really is. As long as you are reasonably careful (common sense goes a long way here), and follow the directions carefully, it is actually pretty easy. I haven't had a batch turn out badly yet. I even made my first hot process soap on Sunday, and that turned out just fine. Homemade soap is so much nicer to use than the stuff you buy in the stor. If you'd like some suggestions for books, or whatever to start, just pm me. I'd be happy to share what I know. I haven't been to the brew/wine store in Christiana. That would be about 15 - 20 minutes past Wilmington for me, and it already takes me 45 - 60 minutes to get to Wilmington, depending upon how many of the hundred or so traffic lights on 202 I hit. Ah - so many crafts, so little time!

Hey Jeepingchick: I encourage you to try making CP soap. A lot of people make it out to be more intimidating than it really is. As long as you are reasonably careful (common sense goes a long way here), and follow the directions carefully, it is actually pretty easy. I haven't had a batch turn out badly yet. I even made my first hot process soap on Sunday, and that turned out just fine. Homemade soap is so much nicer to use than the stuff you buy in the stor. If you'd like some suggestions for books, or whatever to start, just pm me. I'd be happy to share what I know. I haven't been to the brew/wine store in Christiana. That would be about 15 - 20 minutes past Wilmington for me, and it already takes me 45 - 60 minutes to get to Wilmington, depending upon how many of the hundred or so traffic lights on 202 I hit. Ah - so many crafts, so little time!

ARGHHHH those lights KILL me!! It takes me an hour at least to get there, but its our closest! (and my jewelry store is right there so I HAVE to go LOL)

funny thing is, i bought lye last spring with every intention of doing it but keep making excuses not to LOL!
and yes
so many craft so little time is an appropriate comment!

Welcome maybe with you being so close to Nikki you can help keep her out of the corner

Back