Hi from a newbie

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoss

Reaction score
First of all, I would like to thank Joan for introducing me to this site. I have enjoyed reading some of the discussions. I was also introduced to wine making by Joan a couple of years ago and I still have alot to learn. She would probably tell you I'm a slow learner too.
smiley36.gif
I have mostly made fresh fruit wines so far, muscadine and pear, but I have experimented with some frozen concentrates too. I am about to embark on my first wine kit from Spagnols...the Kiwi Melon. I enjoy making sauces and jellies and I like to can food. Oh, and I like to eat food too.
smiley36.gif

Welcome, Hoss! Post away!

(Is this where I put the disclaimer part?
smiley4.gif
)

Welcome Hoss!
I think your going to like it here. Lots of great wine makers and will take on any and all questions you might have.

Hi there Hoss. We just added a ponytail. You didn't lose your horse there did you Hoss?
smiley36.gif

Joan has been a good friend here on the forum. You are lucky to have her mentoring you. If you get stuck with labels, she is a wiz.

appleman said:
Joan has been a good friend here on the forum. You are lucky to have her mentoring you. If you get stuck with labels, she is a wiz.

That's funny, Appleman! I've done all of his labels!
smiley4.gif

Welcome to the forum Hoss, Appleman is right, you have a great mentor and label maker...... and now that you also have the forum, you can do anything!

By the way............

Do you own a digital Camera?.......................

It is a prerequisite for graduating to this site.....

Just kidding......
smiley36.gif

Hello Hoss....welcome to the wine making Forum. Many of us here also like to process foods and preserve them.

Will be fun exchanging recipes and ideas.

As they sing in the musical, "Oliver!" consider yourself, at home! Anyone who is into all those things is sure to fit right in here.

Thank you all for the warm welcome. Yes, Joan has been a life saver for me. I'm not the most computer saavy person around and if not for her, my wines would be labeless. We have shared many laughs over our wine making and she'd be quick to tell you that I'm not a "recipe" kinda guy. As with all of my cooking, I wing it. I know, not the brightest of ideas but it's just how I am.

Waldo, to answer your question....muscadines are my passion and my very first wine was muscadine. The wine actually turned out fabulous but unfortunately, oxidation took it's toll. Last years batch was the same. See....slow learner. Some where along the way, I missed the course about ascorbic acid. Right now, I have 10 gallons of muscadine wine in the carboys waiting for bottling. I also have 5 gallons of watermelon that has been in a carboy for about a year and a half. I was going to pour it out because quite frankly, the stuff stinks, and in the past, I didn't like the taste of it. Just the other night I was about to pour it out and I decided to taste it one more time and, well, let's just say it has "changed". I have decided to bottle it. I don't know what it's supposed to taste like, therefore I have nothing to compare it to but I did find that it is now "drinkable" and I just hate to pour out 5 gallons of wine....knowing how hard I worked getting the juice from all of those melons.

I'll have to look back at this thread and see if anyone else asked anything that I forgot to answer. Once again, thank you all for the warm welcome.

Waldo, I will add, the recipe that I have used came from the elderly man that I get my muscadines from. He is in his 80's. I had been getting muscadines from him for years because I make lots of jelly every year. When I told him I was going to try some wine, he gave me his brothers recipe. His brother got this recipe when he was in Europe in WWII. Very interesting story. But, the recipe is very "simple" as there is nothing to do with any "additives" much less specific gravities or anything else. The recipe calls for 16 cups of sugar, and 8 cups of honey and I can tell you that makes a wine that will kick your donkey...but good. Anyway, this year I decided to see what the difference was if the honey was omitted and replaced with an amount of sugar that would equal the S.G. The results so far have been interesting. The batch without the honey is not as rich in color and I find the flavor to be "weaker" also.

Just a side note, for what it's worth. Probably nothing new here to everyone.....I know, I know, I'm still learning, but I would enjoy some thoughts and input on the muscadine. As I've said, it is my passion. This year my man is going to give me enough plants to start my own "crop". That should be interesting, but I know I need to get something going as he will not be here forever. We have lots and lots of wild muscadines here, but without a bucket truck, good luck gathering enough to make a 5 gallon batch. Also, I am using about 7 gallons of muscadines to make a 5 gallon bach. I would love to hear your comments about that. Not enough, too many...etc. Thanks.

Hoss, ascorbic acid is not a good long term anti-oxidant. Potassium metabisulfite is a much better alternative for aging a wine and protecting it from oxidation as well as keeping bacterias at bay.

OK, so, now I'm already lost.....so skip the ascorbic acid and use campden tablets?

Welcome Hoss, Waldo is the go to guy on muscadines, I think he prolly makes more than the rest. Ive used Ascorbic on some fruit wines, seems to keep the colors better, never had a problem with oxidation, maybe a personal preference for some. Browse around, many good recipes and ideas here.

Hoss where are you located at? I know Joan lives in NY and since she helps you a lot, I assumed you were from NY also. How the heck do you get Muscadines to survive in NY? I thought they were strictly a southern grape. The grapes you get, please describe to me, such as nice and big or tiny, ripen one at a time or in bunches, single grapes near each other or in cluster, bronze color or blue, etc.

And also I believe the ascorbic acid will help the wine from oxydizing better than Campden tablets alone.

Latest posts

Back