Hi Acid Content

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wiz

Reaction score
I am making my Cab. Sauv. using a bulk Italian imported concentrate. I started out with a TA of .90 and using potassium bicarbonate I am able to reach a maximum reduction to .75. I do not have the facilities to do a cold stabilization. Has anyone tried to add calcium carbonate at this stage? Since the amount of calcium carbonate used is limited I thought of the possibility of lowering the wine a little more using it. What say?

I assume you have completed fermentation. How doe the wine taste. Wine making is not all numbers, your palate should also be involved. a ta of .75 is not abnormal. what is your ph? how old is the wine?

The wine has just finished it's fermentation and has a high acidic taste. Of course this is not uncommon for it's age. It usually mellows out after about 10 months aging but could still use a little adjustment. That's why I would like to be a little closer to a TA of .65 using calcium carbonate after first using potassium bicarbonate. I've been making this wine for about 5 years and make 30 gallons each time.

Calcium carbonate is best used before fermentation. Everything I have read recommends potassium carbonate after fermentation. The calcium salts can take a much longer time to precipitate than potassium. How much do you have and why can't you do a cold stabilization at some point? I would greatly recommend it.

Back