Heresy?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShepherdQ

Pusser Newbie
Reaction score
I just bottled my second batch of Dragon's Blood, and I wanted to see how it came out before mentioning a major tweak that I made to the recipe.

I added only half the recommended sugar (10 cups instead of 20). That made for a starting SG of 1.054 and a final of 0.994, resulting in an approximate ABV of 7.85%.

I did this because although I like making and drinking wine, and appreciate the health benefits (antioxidants) of red and berry wines, the alcohol in them is just plain bad for you. So I wanted less.

Just wanted to throw it out there, the wine tastes just as good as the first, full strength, batch that I made, and I don't think it's going to last long enough for the lower alcohol content to threaten spoiling it. But I proposed this once before and some people had strong opinions on the matter.

Just wanted to stir the pot again :)

Cheers,

Rob

LOL, well this is the pot you are stirring with me, going by a set amount of sugar. You should always add enough sugar to give you a desired ABV, not add what someone else says to add. The lower ABV isn't a bad thing as long as this will not be shelf for long.

I agree with Julie. I only use the recommended amount of sugar as a guideline when making a certain recipe. My concern is with the hydrometer and what ABV I am shooting for.
My problem would be drinking it soon enough. Right now I am making more than I can, or should I say am willing to, consume.
If you like the flavor, ABV,etc., then I say keep doing it that way. Thanks for the info though, it is good to know.

, the alcohol in them is just plain bad for you.

That is so not true. Studies have shown definite heart health benefits with moderate consumption of alcohol (not wine - alcohol). I looks like it can help raise good cholesterol and even have positive affects on diabetes. It is not plain bad for you. ;)

its your wine, make it as strong or weak as you desire.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one obvious risk in a delicious wine with lower alcohol content is that people may drink more than they might if the alcohol content was higher.

Good point Bernard, one might be lulled into a false sense of security and end up drinking too much. And thanks for all the relies everyone.

Gregin, now that you mention it I recall reading about the studies to which you're referring. I'll rephrase though: alcohol is just plain bad for your brain! And alcohol in any excess is bad for the rest of your insides...

Cheers,

Rob

Latest posts

Back