WineXpert Here we go, kit #2.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

earl

Reaction score
Well George is at it again! Sending subliminal messages to my pea size brain "Order...Ferment...Bottle...Enjoy.."
smiley1.gif
(I better put a smiley so you all don't think I'm nuts)So I ordered a GreenApple Reisling, 6 gal Carboy, K-meta,Floatingthermometer, corks and some caps. I declined on the labels, I will attempt to "Waldo" (my label making hero)...my own.

I am also looking for a used entertainment centerfor the basement to hold my stuff. This is kit #2 for me, my first one is currently clearing in the basement.

cheers

earl

Is THAT how George created such success this year! A new marketing technique! There must be messages embedded in the forum!
smiley2.gif

smiley9.gif
Waldo...A Hero !!! WOW !! Hey Earl. ya need any help, hints or tips on some labels podner you just let me know. I hope your Green Apple turns out as good as mine did. It is awesome !!

Ahh, your still a light weight
smiley2.gif
I started in June and have 10 kits BOTTLED
smiley17.gif
Keep us up to date to how its going and as always keep the questions coming. You will find this time it is a lot easier, after the next one, you should be a pro!

Smurfe
smiley1.gif

Waldo, I was thinking tonite about sending you some ideas for a label. Give me a couple of weeks and I will send you some, or at least have you tell me how you do it.

Smurfe, my goal is 1 kit per month until the fall then work on some scratch wines. I figure 1 per month will really hone some skills in sanitizing, bottling etc. I would like to try a scratch wine in the late summer using some of the great fruit grown in Colorado. I will certainly try a Joes Ancient mead in a couple of months, it sounds foolproof.

Oh ya I almost forgot, I have a sneaking suspicion that 10 cups of sugar are teetering on the edge of falling into myprimary when the Green Apple shows up. Golly I am so clumsy!!!

earlEdited by: earl

I wouldn't balance 10 cups of sugar near a primary. Now, a sugar
SOLUTION,
that's a different matter...
smiley2.gif

Well guess what the delivery man brought today?? Yup, a not so little box from George himself. Tomorrow I start the Green Apple with a 10 cup sugar solution.

I am thinking about only adding 5 or 6 cups of sugar, in a solution, to it. I don't want to make it too hot. How is it with 10 cups??

earlEdited by: earl

I use a 5 lb bag of sugar with all Island Mist kits and they come out great every time. I have found that adding some yeast nutrient helps move the fermentation along faster since these kits seem to be lacking some when you add the extra sugar.

Just give a holler on the labels when you get ready earl.

I am about ready to do another Green Apple myself and was wondering if anyone had ever oaked a green apple and what it was like

Masta, if you are adding 5lbs do you still use the F pack at stabilizing?Edited by: Waldo

Yes I do since the even with the added sugar it ferment dry and the F-Pack will sweeten and add the flavoring.

10 cups of sugar is roughly 5 lbs and will give you a starting SG of ~1.095.

This will give you a final ABV of ~13%.

Masta I added 6 cups of sugar in solution and stirred till my arm came off. SG 1.070 at 68%, is this about 10% abv?? I just didn't want to make it too hot, my wife will probably be drinking this one.

Waldo, how do I get you the info for the label??

earl

Earl,

Your wine with a starting SG of 1.070 will end up with a ABV of ~10%...Great Job and keep us informed of your progress!

I just started a rasberry merlot this weekend. I used about half the f pack to get sg up. then used sugar and hydrometer to get sg up to get abv up to 12% and it is ticking nicley the air lock that is.

I lilke using gostex and nutrient with kits cans or fresh. Seems to ferment dry.

Gostex is a powder that is a derived from yeast. It is supposed to aid with eht deviding of the yeast cells. the divide when the multiply and we want lots of healthy mulitplication. as they devide the cell walls be come thin the gostex is to aid in the cell walls staying thick to keep the yeast healthy all through the ferment. I have very very strong 5 days ferments. When I keep one in my bedroom it would keep me up with the steady ticking from the air lock I have banned the primiarys to the kitchen as often as possible. I also use yeast nutirecnt with every batch from cans or kits. I like to think I/m keeping my little yeasties as happy as possilbe. The gostex is very fine and does take a while to stir in the prim ferment . I have started using my drill stirer for everything save our arms. My drill is plug so I cant run down. I love wine making gadgets.

Latest posts

Back