WineXpert Bottling of our First Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FineWino

Junior
Reaction score
About six months ago I first learned about modern wine kits while exploring this and another forum. I was intrigued by the concept of being able to make a variety of wines for everyday drinking for a few dollars a bottle. I had never made any whites, and thought they might also be a great vehicle for understanding fining/clarification in the "off-season." I convinced one of my winemaking partners this was a good idea, and relatively low risk. I found George's customer program to be the best, and dove right in purchasing WE Selection Original Sauvignon Blanc and Viognier, and the Selection Estate Columbia Valley Reisling (plus ordering 4 LE's to get the maximum discount!)

We started the wines in November, and added the clarifying agents about a week before Christmas. Not in any hurry, we waited untilMarch to bottle. Here is what they looked like before bottling.

20080403_175214_3_sparkling_cle.jpg

We got them bottled in March, along with an Alljuice Castel del Papa. (Thanks for the labels, George!) We enjoyedthe extra glass or so of each while bottling, and have since consumed one bottle of each of the whites. I doubt the whites will survive the summer, although I suspect the Reisling will improve substantially in the next 6 months.

20080403_175720_first_bottling.jpg

So here I am, six months later, with four more kits in carboy, seven in the queue, and tempted once again by George's specials this month. I am very impressed with these kits.

Congratulations on your first bottling. They look great. Tomy
smiley16.gif

Wow! That's a beautiful sight, FineWino!

PS With your comment about George's specials of the month proves you are addicted to the hobby! Welcome to the dark side!
smiley2.gif

Looking good there FineWIno. They look like they cleared very well.

There is no doubt that he is hooked on wine - just look behind the carboys. He makes the stuff by the barrel. I wish I had a few of those. What sizes do you have?

appleman said:
Looking good there FineWIno. They look like they cleared very well.

There is no doubt that he is hooked on wine - just look behind the carboys. He makes the stuff by the barrel. I wish I had a few of those. What sizes do you have?

They all did clarify quite nicely. Degassed with a vacuum pump, added clarifying agents, and just left them alone. The advantage of letting them sit a long time is that the sediment compacts nicely and you can rack almost all the wine perfectly clear. We got 30 bottles out of all three carboys and had a generous glass of each left to enjoy.

Insofar as our other storage is concerned, we have 4 228L french oak barrels, 2 65 gal American oak barrels, and 200L and 300L VC SST tanks. We also have 4 or 5 15 gal SST kegs, and a bunch of carboys.

Right now we have about 90 gal of 2007 Zin and 125 gal of 2007 cab aging. We expect to bottle the Zin in late spring, and are working on deciding what our 2008 vintage of grape wine will be. Living in Sonoma County, there are many options
smiley4.gif
.Edited by: FineWino

Love the Deep Purple on the barrel in back... such an artist you are!
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back