Here we go!!! Cali grapes.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nayrea143

Reaction score
Just crushed up a small batch of California grapes. Small blend 3 lugs. Cab sav
Merlot
Zinfandel
26 brix
60*
1/4 meta today and pitching yeast Tom. Thinking rc 212. Since I am planning mlf.
Sorry if my terms are off and what not this is only my second crush. And I am still finding my way

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Anyone know why I can't find Bacchus on more wine??? I remember hearing something about u can't get it anymore but I wasn't sure. Any other recommendations??

Crapola!!!! Ok. Any recommendations??? I like a work horse no nonsense mlf. It's cold here going down 38 tonight. And this is high alcohol percentage. Using rc212 yeast.

And this is only my second crush but it looks a little muddy in color to me. Pretty sure the Chilean was deep beautiful red right away?!?!?

VP41 has been great for me, but it is a little pricey. Good pH/ABV tolerances.

VP41 has been great for me, but it is a little pricey. Good pH/ABV tolerances.

That's the one I wanted to use until I saw the price. If I was doing a large batch no question but I am only doing 6-7 gallons and since I can't save it I feel it's wasteful. Waaaa

I also used Wyeast 4007 one time last year for my first wine from grapes and it worked pretty good.
Just remember that, typically, incomplete MLF may be due to PH, alcohol tolerance and other variables.

Last year I used the white labs crap, to me is crap because it got stuck even after pitching a 2nd dose.
I then realize this Merlot PH was way low for this mlb.

For a small batch, I think I'd use Wyeast 4007 again.
My recent 15gal batch I used VP41 and put the remaining in the fridge.

Well yet another issue. My brix is 25 or so and the yeast I have is rc212. Didn't realize that it's only 12-14% alcohol tolerance. The only other one I have is ec1118 but that's not good for wine seeing a mlf. Guess pitch the rc 212. Then fermax dose day three and hope it finishes up. I am currently tenting my brute and have it sitting on a heating pad trying to warm it up. It's only 60*.

I'm using this right now, all the reviews say it's a slow worker but I'm bulk aging for about a year so I've got plenty of time. Wyeast 4007

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/malo-lactic-blend-wyeast-4007.html

Best of luck, sounds like a great mix.
Mike

So if I am reading about this correctly I would only need the one vile??!? Says that does 6 gallons or perhaps I order two to be safe??? Anyone know why Bacchus is gone??

I use the Viniflora CH16, high alcohol. Does 55gl and morewine carries the MLF Bacteria. Always had good results.

I think morewine doesn't show it on their website but they carry all the Lalvin brand yeast so I bet if you call they have it available.

I use the Viniflora CH16, high alcohol. Does 55gl and morewine carries the MLF Bacteria. Always had good results.

I think morewine doesn't show it on their website but they carry all the Lalvin brand yeast so I bet if you call they have it available.

Thinking this is what I am going to order. However I am wondering how much I would use since I am only doing about 6 or so gallons??? Or is it safe to use the whole thing???

It is safe to use the whole thing. Once the bacteria run out of food they finish. Consider using a MLB nutrient as well.

It is safe to use the whole thing. Once the bacteria run out of food they finish. Consider using a MLB nutrient as well.

Ok. Will do. I have Opti malo plus already thank u!!

Latest posts

Back