Help with my apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bearded_Dog

Junior
Reaction score
I have some high alcohol apple wine that I want to bottle before it gets too dry. Sitting at 1.018 SG and we like how sweet it is. Can I stop the fermentation with potassium sorbate to keep it from getting dryer and then wait for it to clarify in the carboys?
Thanks for the help.

No, as I understand it, potassium sorbate will not stop an active fermentation. It will stop the existing yeast from reproducing, but it will not kill them. Thus, the yeast you have on hand now will continue eating the sugar left.

Pretty much you have to wait until the fermentation stops (either because of alcohol toxicity or the yeast ran out of sugar), and then add sorbate and backsweeten to taste.

Yes I agree with Paul !
You can filter it at a sterile filtration - but even that is not a 100% guarantee. Best is to run it dry and the add sorbate and back sweeten with sugar or apple concentrate

Rather then letting the wine ferment to dryness and adding sugars back, the better practice is stop the fermentation when unfermented sugar has reached the desired level. This is accomplished by fermenting at a cooler temperature. Whether this method is practical, you will have to determine that for yourself. Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Rather then letting the wine ferment to dryness and adding sugars back, the better practice is stop the fermentation when unfermented sugar has reached the desired level. This is accomplished by fermenting at a cooler temperature. Whether this method is practical, you will have to determine that for yourself. Cheers!

This is usually referred to as 'cold crashing', and is usually done alongside sterile filtration. The cold temperatures just make a majority of the yeast become rather inactive and anything heavier will settle to the bottom.

They then rack the wine off this sediment and run it through a sterile filtration set-up, to remove any more yeast still free-floating.

Just cold crashing, is rather 'iffy' because when the wine warms back up, any yeast left in suspension will just reawaken and start to multiply and feed all over again, restarting fermentation.

The safest way to do this, is to know what you want ahead of time. If you have an idea of how sweet you like it (takes a few seasons to get this dead-on), you can set aside a portion of the must/juice, sulfite it and put it in the refrigerator.. Let the rest of the must ferment to dry, sorbate the batch and then when the time is right, add the sulfited must back to the sorbated wine; the finished product is sulfited+sorbated, with just-under amount of alcohol you intended (because you set the SG and fermented dry, then dilluted with juice), and still contains natural fruit sugars instead of table sugar, etc.

This is usually referred to as 'cold crashing', and is usually done alongside sterile filtration. The cold temperatures just make a majority of the yeast become rather inactive and anything heavier will settle to the bottom.

They then rack the wine off this sediment and run it through a sterile filtration set-up, to remove any more yeast still free-floating.

Just cold crashing, is rather 'iffy' because when the wine warms back up, any yeast left in suspension will just reawaken and start to multiply and feed all over again, restarting fermentation.

The safest way to do this, is to know what you want ahead of time. If you have an idea of how sweet you like it (takes a few seasons to get this dead-on), you can set aside a portion of the must/juice, sulfite it and put it in the refrigerator.. Let the rest of the must ferment to dry, sorbate the batch and then when the time is right, add the sulfited must back to the sorbated wine; the finished product is sulfited+sorbated, with just-under amount of alcohol you intended (because you set the SG and fermented dry, then dilluted with juice), and still contains natural fruit sugars instead of table sugar, etc.

The filtration systems are relatively inexpensive and safe if you filtrate to micron of .45. It's not "iffy", most commercial wineries do not use potassium sorbate. It is just an option and something to consider, Cheers!:br

Last edited:
I was speaking to cold crashing without filtration, being "iffy"... Cold crashing with filtration, is basically a commercial standard

I didn't mention the filtering stage, I assumed everyone knew that.

Back