Help Trimming/Managing Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you could lay some landscape fabric, or even a thick layer of newspapers around the base of the vine would sure help...then put some sort of mulch over it...This would kill the grasses and conserve moisture, at least for a year or two till the vines get established....Otherwise once your grasses grow up around the vine you'll be wanting to use the weed whip and might damage the vine.

Just my two cents.

Here is a update of my vines:
grapearbor1.jpg

grapearbor2.jpg

grapearbor3.jpg

grapearbor4.jpg

grapearbor5.jpg

grapearbor6.jpg

grapearbor7.jpg

grapearbor8.jpg

grapearbor.jpg

grapearbor9.jpg

And the vine that died ^ :(

Scuba...Thanks for Posting your photos....Always nice to see others vines and yards...etc.

Your first photo looks like an ivy...what variety is that grape....I find it interesting that different varieties have different shaped leaves.

Your last vine needs a decent burial....
smiley4.gif

Looks great Scuba, how many hours of sun do they get per day you think? I would like to do something like that but dont think it would get enough sunlight but I see yours in the shade doing okay.

Northern: As far as I know they are all concord grape vines that have been allowed to grow wherever they wanted for the past 2 decades. This was the first year they got a proper trimming.
Wade: Those vines probley get around 3hrs of light in the morning, it doesnt do anything but it is light. The good sun starts right at noon and goes to around 5-7. So they do get light but not a whole ton.

Scuba

I dont think any of my back yard gets that much. I would have to top off some awfully large trees in my woods to get that much!
smiley13.gif

I mean dont get me wrong, its not great sunlight but I guess its sunlight none the less. Those two vines are right behind a garage and next to a whole oak tree.

the best sunlight to get is themorning sunight....and that pretty much goes for all plants

looks like you are doing well ressurecting the vines...nice to see

Thanks for the update Scuba. The grapes seem to have done pretty well this year for you in spite of the weather. You even have some grapes this year after the heavy pruning. The canopy should have developed more fruitful buds this year for next year. The trellis shoul be covered next year with both lush growth and grapes hanging down. Check the roots of the vine that died and see if something ate it. Very unusual that it would die like that after making some nice growth.

OK ill check the roots. The vine the died was planted rather close to a large tree, would the trees massive root system interfere with the grape vine? I figured it might be something like that.

Scuba

Yes the tree would rob a bunch of water and could make it dry. I'm not sure it would kill it though. Some trees do give off a toxic substance to keep competition down. It may just be too close to the tree.

Well spring is here again and it gladdens me to see everything green and growing. I have trimmed the grapevines again (not the new ones, the old ones) and started to clean up the yard. This is the second year now the new vines have been in and I must say I am very pleased with how much growing they have done. Even since this year has started they have just shot up with new growth and buds. I'm keeping them to the arbor that is already there and will let them start to work their way up it. I trimmed the old vines and the tree well so that the new vines should get plenty of sun this year.

Scuba

Hey Scuba, how have ya been. It's been ages since you popped in. I was wondering how things were with you the other day.

Good to hear things are starting out well this year.

Back