Help Trimming/Managing Vines

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok I need 1 year wood. Lets say there is a vine of 1 year wood that is 10ft long (just saying). Can I cut that back to 2ft? 5ft? and still be ok, or do I have to leave it alone?

Scuba

You would cut it back to a couple feet, since you have a bunch of them. There are formulas for how many buds to leave, but I think you need more instructions and experience before you worry about that.

One thing that would be very helpful to you would be if there was a vineyard in your area. You go to them and offer to help prune for a while. They show you the basics and you help them for a day and learn the basics of what to look for on actual linving vines. That is about the best way to get a good grasp on how to do it.

Having read about a million articles on pruning, I think there is definitely a need for someone out there to do a pictorial (or video) tutorial on how and when to prune. I'm just confused on the issue. fortunately I only just put in a couple of Le Noir this week so I don't have to prune until next winter (I think)

There is vineyards by me but it seems weird that they would let me come help considering I have no idea what im doing :).

You will be doing other things for them also in exchange Im sure. I have a local vineyard that also does this and if you do enough work for them they give you a case of wine or grapes for you to take home and ferment yourself. Gee how i wish i had the time but 99% of the time that I dont have to work Im watching my kids cause my wife is at work. Cant wait till the kids get a little older so I can have a built in baby sitter.

Yes that's right Scuba. You won't learn specifically how to do yours, but you will learn what to look for and then adapt that to your conditions.

Other than learning on the job how to prune you can see for yourself how they mulch, what chemicals they use for pest control,so much more,and the tools of the trade so to speak. I would jump at the chance to help at a vineyard, but alas there is none close by. Tomy

Scuba - Noiret makes a very nice red wine. You won't be disappointed. If you want to taste test, Presque Isle in North East PA produces Noiret varietal. I had the privilege of sampling from the barrel last Summer
smiley4.gif

Good luck with your grape arbor. I'm sure with all the help you get on this forum it'll be awesome.

Bonnie

Well 99% of the snow has finally melted and the temp hit about 45* so I went out and started pruning my vines. Considering I didnt know too much what I was doing I think I did pretty well. I got rid of all the dead vines that we just hanging around, cut back most of the vines that were under the size of a pencil. I didnt trim them too far back just becuase it might get cold again but once I get everything cleaned up back there I will post some more pics.

Scuba

Sounds good Scuba. It got up to about 45 here today also. We have lost about 6 inches of snow in the last 2 days. If we could get to about 45-55 and stay there during the day I would be happy. I actually saw a dozen robins on a neighbor's lawn today! First ones I have seen since last fall!

I am going to go out and see if I can kill my vines tomorrow. I try to use a four-cane kniffin. I don't know if it is the right one to use or not. It's just what I am used too. It's the one that Dad always used. He just grew concords for juice and jelly.

I am going to try to prune this week end . The snow is gone but now there is mud.
I need to start training my Frontenac vines, does anyone have a suggestion on what method I should use? I have been looking at articles on-line and foundmany different opinions.
Double A Vineyards suggest high wire cordon. A local vineyard I visited last summer was using four-cane kniffin and on the Minnesota grape grower forum one grower said he uses VSP for all the hybrid wine varieties.

The Frontenac is generally a vigorous vine and will adapt to just about any system pruned to. I would say a lot depends on what you are comfortable with pruning. You need to keep the vine in balance to prevent it from becoming overly vigorous. You need enough fruit so it doesn't put on too much vegetation. I have both 4 arm kniffen and VSP for the Frontenac to compare types on my soil. I have seen a similar soil use VSP for the Frontenac and it works very well. The fruit ripen more evenly and it keeps the vigor down on the Frontenac.

Looks like the snow is gone! Yeah! I see you have 3 sets of pruners there. Shouldn't take long to prune the vines with those helping. LOL

Some updated pics of the vines after I prunned.

vine2.jpg

vine21.jpg

vine23.jpg

I also ordered my Noriet vines today.

I plan on planting them right here:
vine22.jpg

But should I plant the vine right under the vertical wire so the vine can climb up it, or should I plant it in the middle of the two vertical wires and then just have the vine jump up to the next horizontal wires?

Thanks,

Scuba

I would plant in the middle. The vine will attach itself where it wants. If you try to run it right up the wire, it may rub and cause problems.

Latest posts

Back