WineXpert Help please...yeast didn't activate kit...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sideways2

Reaction score
Hello again!!

So...I happened across a Twisted Mojito kit from my local dealer a week ago...the kit was from last summer...should still be ok methinks...the dates on the two yeast packages that came with were good till next year so I thought I would try it out...

It's the 8th day today and it only tested at 1.020...that is with one yeast package...was I supposed to use both at the same time?? Can I put in the second right now?? Or is it pointless...do you think the kit is too old??

Thought??

Thanks kindly!!!

I have only made one WE kit. It came with two yeast packets and was meant to use both at the initial yeast pitch. I would assume the same is the case for your kit.

Actually this was my first kit with two packets!!!

So...now what?? Too late for the second packet??

Hello again!!

So...I happened across a Twisted Mojito kit from my local dealer a week ago...the kit was from last summer...should still be ok methinks...the dates on the two yeast packages that came with were good till next year so I thought I would try it out...

It's the 8th day today and it only tested at 1.020...that is with one yeast package...was I supposed to use both at the same time?? Can I put in the second right now?? Or is it pointless...do you think the kit is too old??

Thought??

Thanks kindly!!!
What temperature is the wine at? Many slow ferments are due to cool temps.

Wait a couple more days and get another sg reading. You could gently stir the wine now to encourage any yeast that has settled out to come back into play.

Steve

sideways:

21-22C should be just fine. 1.020 means partially fermented, so I don't think the 2nd yeast pkg was that important. It may have just got off to a very slow start without the extra yeast. Another sg reading in a couple of days should be informative.

Another option is to contact Winexpert (phone or email). They are usually very helpful when it comes to their kits.

Steve

It was just odd...every other Winexpert kit I bought only had one packet...thought this one was just a mixup with an extra packet...oh well...you live and ya learn LOL!!!

I did send an email off to Winexpert but it's the long weekend so I'm not expecting a reply till Tuesday or Wednesday...in the mean time, I'll do another reading and post it...

Thanks kindly!!

Dave

Hey Steve

Stirring helped...thanks!! Reading was 1.0 last night so I racked it over :)

Much appreciated...I'll remember that if there is a next time!!

Thanks again!!

Dave

Latest posts

Back