Help! I forgot to add a packet in my wine!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeanVin

aka Mr. Butter Fingers
Reaction score
Hi, I am making a blueberry wine. I used the Wild Berry Additive kit.

I followed the instructions with two exceptions, one of them was intentional.
I added more berries than required and I forgot to add packet 2 when I started the wine. Packet 2 contained nutrients, an acid blend and the tannins.

I started the kit over a month ago and it is bulk aging in a carboy. I have not yet stabilized it. It is done fermenting. The question is: am I too late to add the packet to the wine and let age a little longer?

Thanks,
Jean

since it's done fermenting you don't need the nutrients. You could still add tannins and acid it is needed. Can you check the acid level? I am guessing its not clear yet so you should be ok adding other stuff.
Bulk aging is a good thing so no worries there.

Most of the sediment has settled to the bottom so it is fairly clear. The nutrients are mixed into the tannins and acid in the package but I can't see any harm in adding the nutrients or would you disagree?

I have testing strips for PH, is that the same as testing for acid? The PH was around 3.4 last I checked.

Jean

Do not add the nutrients now as it may not settle out and could leave a off flavor in your wine. If everything is mixed together you may want to pick up a small packet of acid blend and use that. You will need to get some sort of acid test kit to test the acid or you could add to taste slowly.

I'm just curious. You said you have not stabilized it yet and you are bulk aging it in a carboy. Usually at the stabilization phase, you degas, add
k-meta and potassium sorbate if you are going to sweeten it. You didn't mention that you have done any of these things. Without the addition of potassium metabisulphite, you are leaving your wine unprotected from oxidation especially if it is done fermenting. Maybe I'm missing something.

I just stabilized it last night, before the Lodi Ranch tragedy. It is fairly acidic and I won't be adding an acid blend but I will be adding tannins soon. Are there different types of tannins and is there a general guide as to how much to add? I think I may add some oak to it too, a light toast at that, and it will need some sweetening.

The SG has dropped down to 0.990 (started at 1.090), is that normal for a fruit wine? None of my wine kits ever got that low.

I brought a sample of my wine into the wine supply store for a second opinion. After six weeks, it is pretty good (for its age). It has a very crisp and clean taste and is light on the berry flavors. Not bad for a first attempt.

After much debate and ado, I have decided to do the following with my 23L of wild blueberry wine:

1) Fill a 11.5L carboy with the wine and let it age there for another 3 - 4 months.
2) Take 1 gallon and add grape tannins.
3) Take another gallon and oak the bejesus out of it (ok not really, I just wanted to say that). I am going to add some light toast Hungarian oak to see where that goes. And...
4) Add some acid blend to the last gallon. The acid profile is very nice but I expect it to soften with time.

In three months it will be time to mix and match and see what blends at what ratio will result is some super fine blueberry wine or.... the whole thing could end up in a flop. Time will tell.

Latest posts

Back