HELP! Clumpy Lalvin D47 yeast starter.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

China-Clipper

Reaction score
I just made two starter batches of Lalvin D47 yeast for my Dragon's blood and Strawberry berry wine mix (two batches). My usual yeast EC-118 used to sink in the warm water and disperse. This D47 got "muddy" and "clumpy" in the water...kind of like flour paste in gravy. Is this normal? I'm supposed to pitch the yeast in 15 minutes. :slp

How old is the yeast? What was the water temp when you put the yeast in? It should come to life in ~10mins with signs of activity. Add an ounce or two of must and it should really take off. If you see absolutely no signs of life you might want to get another packet of something ready.

I followed the packet instructions and added to about 2 ounces of water at about 104 degrees F. As I have no other yeast handy, I added the mix to the buckets....hopefully it'll activate? Do different yeasts act different, or is this a sign it's no good?

Last edited:
Some act differently yes. Most will show signs of life in just minutes. D47 IIRC is one that does not. I would keep it warm 72 degrees and watch it for 24-48 hours. I would also pick up some EC1118 now so you have it handy just in case.

I pitched the same yeast today. 6 gallons of white welchs with raisons and bananas in the must. Its the first time im using it and i started it like you did and added it in. It was a bit clumpy too. I saw your post and just went over to check on it and theres some clumps but i gave it a stir and they are gone. Beginning temp was 69 and its at 71 now so i think its getting there. Ill know for sure in the morning hopefully.

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Wine Making mobile app

Well, day two and I see some activity. Micro bubbles popping and some fizzing. A lot slower than I'm used to with the EC-118. Hopefully this stuff will take off; I used both yeast energizer and yeast nutrient.

It been 20 hours so far for me. Looks like it's starting up now.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

ImageUploadedByWine Making1395673934.235095.jpg

Well, just racked the DB into the carboy for clearing. After 21 days the SG=1.010 and the wine tastes great. I may not need to back-sweeten, as the yeast I used (Lalvin D47) was recommended by brew house as being a good one for not fermenting to dry and bringing out the fruit flavors. I'll see, as I used the same yeast for a batch of Strawberry that I'm about ready to clear now.

Well, just racked the DB into the carboy for clearing. After 21 days the SG=1.010 and the wine tastes great. I may not need to back-sweeten, as the yeast I used (Lalvin D47) was recommended by brew house as being a good one for not fermenting to dry and bringing out the fruit flavors. I'll see, as I used the same yeast for a batch of Strawberry that I'm about ready to clear now.

What was your starting sg?

Latest posts

Back