HELP! bottling day is here and its chunky?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kracker

Reaction score
im making 5 gallons of fruit wine, as i have many times.
3 days ago per directions i added 5 tablets of camden and P.sorbate . now for 2 days i have had suspended particles! its now bottling day. i was thinking just filter it thru cheese cloth?

3 days ago per directions i added 5 tablets of camden and P.sorbate . now for 2 days i have had suspended particles! its now bottling day. i was thinking just filter it thru cheese cloth?

Never bottle cloudy, chunky wine with suspended particles. Filtering through cheesecloth is not going to solve this issue.

If you can provide more info, perhaps we can help you get your wine into the correct state for bottling. Of interest would be:
What kind of fruit wine
Basic recipe
Steps to get to where you are now including the process you used, time lines, specific gravity readings from your hydrometer, other chemical additions along the way, etc...

Sounds more like this is chunks of your KMS/SMS tablets (Campden) or Sorbate that didn't dissolve and are now suspended solids. You generally want to crush those super fine, dissolve in some wine, whip, and then rack onto that solution to avoid this exact issue.

If your wine is clear enough to read thru (assuming it's not a red) it can be bottled. If not, give it another 4-6 weeks and look again. It's not like extra aging will hurt anything.

It sounds like the Sorbate has clumped on you. Sorbate will not mix, if you add it straight to the wine. You need to mix with just enough water or as Matt said wine, to make it a good slurry and then add it to the wine.

Obviously from others posts don't bottle. Your timing from chem addition to bottling doesn't seem right. We need more info about your recipe.

If you added those chemicals and they are sitting in a carboy that is topped up, leave it alone for at least 2 months. Then recheck.

skipdonohue is spot-on! A bitter pill to swallow, but absolutely the correct perspective to have about bottling.

Latest posts

Back