Hello from San Diego!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PBWinery

Insane Wine Maker
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Im new to the board, names Dale. I am one of the owners of Pearson Brothers Winery. We have been making wine for about 7 years now and have decided to go pro and are opening up a bonded winery.

We have just started our Journey and wanted to introduce ourselves to the community.

We are making a Saccharo (from sugar) Wine. Made from mostly Sugar Cane (over 50%) with the balance of fermentation sugars from honey. We have have been working on the same type of wine for around 3 years and its our focus. Saw this forum and just wanted to introduce myself.

Had alot of questions in the past and Im sure I will have more. Hoping that I can get some good advice from the forum.

Happy Holidays!!
Dale
PBWinery

Welcome to the forum!

Lots of knowledgeable folks here. Some I believe, like yourself, are in the business. I myself simple enjoy wine making as a hobby.

Thanks everyone!!

To be clear Im getting into the business. Currently Im a Specialty for hire Dive operator

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2495107/

and my partner who is my brother is a Helicopter Flight rescue Nurse. Both of us are hoping to transition out of our jobs by opening up the new winery. We have 63 acres outside of San Diego where we will be setting up. All of our ingredients for making Saccharo are imported so at our place all we are doing is making the wine, not actually growing our own agricultural products.

Thanks again for the welcomes everyone!

Dale

Hi dale! Welcome to the forum. Like snafflekid, I too have never heard of Saccharo.All the best with your new endeavor!!

If you guys want to try some Im gonna have a big tasting party at the end of the first quarter of 2014. BIg party, free, catered.

Its gonna be in San Diego.

We stumbled onto this type of wine making by accident. Spending years making every type of wine and alcohol we could think of. The Saccharo is a blend of old school winemaking but using Cane Sugar (at least 50%) as the primary agricultural fermentation product. Saccharo is the name of it as the FED requires us to label our "other wine" with a type of descriptive label. We started to wonder if we could deconstruct the grape and break it down to each part, sugar, tannins, acids, etc. Then using alternate ingredients to replace each part of the grape in a manner that would replace the grape but still use all the age old winemaking techniques that we know.

Saccharo literally means "from sugar" In latin.

<a href=http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/saccharo- />

Its used to describe anything that relates to sugar IE : Saccharometer is a device used to measure sugar content.

We use only CANE sugar in Saccharo and blend it with Wildflower honey for smoothness in primary. No dextrose or Beet sugar is allowed.

No one has heard of Saccharo yet, because grape and other juice wines dominate the market. There is a similar product called Basi that is sold overseas. It uses Cane sugar also but IMO it sucks. The outter part of the cane and leaves give it a crap taste. There is also Kilju from Finland. Also low quality stuff, that shares the Sugar base but thats where the two products end similarity.

It was pretty difficult to get a method to make it a quality wine. 4 years of trial and error. Batch after batch, month after month. As you guys know its a 3 month process just to see if you screwed up.

Like I said, we are having a tasting party end of 1st quarter 2014. Gonna be giving away a bottle to everyone who shows up.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!!! :hug

Last edited:
If you guys want to try some Im gonna have a big tasting party at the end of the first quarter of 2014. BIg party, free, catered.

Its gonna be in San Diego. :hug

Do you have a date picked out yet? My wife and I will be in San Diego around then, Mission Beach area. We always go to Temecula and taste some wine, we would love to try some of yours. :br

OHHHHHH YEEEEEAAAAAAAA!!!!

We have about 60 gal in secondary right now. Looks like another month and a half and we will be bottling. I plan on having a massive party where the first 200 people to RSVP. There will be another 50 bottles for sampling at the party!! Plus a live band!! Free admission!! Its gonna be an epic party.

And your cordially invited Rocket Man.

Latest posts

Back