Hello from PA

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nepawinemaker

Junior
Reaction score
Just signed up to the forum. I'm up in in northeast pa. I just started about2 weeks ago in wine making. My friend got me interested and now it's bocome quite the hobby. Istarted off with some hard cider. Taking some cider from the local orchard and seeing what I can do. I have them both in secondary fementation right now. I'm trying one batch with organic Ginger snaps crushed up and stirred in. When I get a chance I'll post some pics. I think that mynormal batch is almost ready. I checked the SG on it theyesterday and it was 1.000.I was wondering if thisa good reading to start to bottle it, andhow is a good way to add conditioner to sweeten and preserve it?Let me know it would be of great use. Thanks

Welcome to the forum. We will try to help you out when you need it. Yes we do like pictures!
Don't rush the wine. If you are at 1.000, it has a ways to go yet. Don't bottle too soon or it can push the corks and make a mess. You should be at about .995 for 3-5 days with no movement to be done. To stabilize, use 1/4 tsp k-meta per 5-6 gallon batch and stir it in well after dissolving in a 1/4 cup wine. Then use the recommended rate of k-sorbate to stabilize. Never use it without k-meta, because it can generate geranium smells in your wine if you don't use the k-meta. If you want to resweeten it, use some apple juice for flavor and sweetness. Only add it if you have stabilized though or it could restart fermentation and again the blown corks and bottles.

Welcome Jason, you need to give it more time also to let the wine clear whether using a clearing agent or not. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you are off to a great start. Look forward to hearing about your next project.

Welcome....Hope you stay awhile.

We love any wine with apples.....we make carbonated Apple Cider in beer bottles....It is great. Also make Sparkling Apple Wine in Champagne bottles....as well as various Apple Wines....
smiley4.gif

Latest posts

Back