HELL of a night lost my marbles :(

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juventude

Reaction score
Had to share this in order to feel good with myself!!!!

Tonight was racking my strawberry wine and was transferring it from a 5 gal (5 liters) carboy to a 5 gal (4.5 liters) one and I had some headspace left....
Had read some info from this site about marbles in order to fill up space in carboy and decided to give it a try...

I had 5 small bags of marbles and begin to fill it up... UNFORTUNATLY, I was too anxious to notice that there were some slightly larger than the others in the bag, and when I posted one in, it remained totally stuck in the neck of the carboy and totally got tight fit no way of getting it out , tried almost anything from vacuum to banging, after about 2 hours trials decided to sacrifice the carboy to save the wine…

The Question now, PLEASE advise !!!!

In all my trials the wine got a lot of air and had to shake it really hard… could all the shaking stuff ruined the wine too? And is there anything I can do to prevent this , I didn’t put in the Kmeta as the SG was 1.010 and still needed a little more time to ferment dry…..

ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!!!!!

Last edited:
So you are looking for a way to save the wine even if it ruins the carboy? I'd out still fermenting? Think maybe it will build pressure and pop it out on its own?

So was this a glass carboy you destoyed? Did you get glass in the wine and how can you be sure you didn't. The shaking did not hurt your wine but it might have built up enough gas to assist in popping the marble out.

The gas was not enough as wine was dropping from some irregularities in the glass... But as i said finally i had to carefully lift a little the glass with a spoon so that a few pieces chipped and the marble came out.... This although cracked the neck some 1 inch down and i cannot afford to give it a try and have another wine ruined ... So decided to descard
.. the wine have absolutely no pieces pf glass as i took care to clean all the way round.... ... The choice was made in mind, that i got the carboy for free and the wine in it costs me around 25 euros of materials... And its taste before this was great..... Thats why i pray that the wine will still be ok...

I am having a hard time understanding just what you did. Are you saying you somehow broke the carboy to save the wine? How did you sacrifice the carboy?

It would seem that inverting the carboy over a fermenter would have dislodged the marble. If it were I, the good old "Gorilla Glue" would have come out and I would have glued a peincil or piece of dowel to the marble and pulled it out.

Yep, your right but this hobby is not good to reactive people ... And what is done cannot be changed..... Still learned a lesson for the future..
I would be lucky if the wine ends up ok afteralll

I'm not clear either how you removed the marble. Did you wedge a spoon inbetween the marble and carboy causing the carboy to crack? If there were any glass breaking, I would dump the wine. You will not be able to see glass shards in the wine.

Couldn't you just run the wine through a sanitized fine mesh strainer?

Rocky said:
?

It would seem that inverting the carboy over a fermenter would have dislodged the marble. If it were I, the good old "Gorilla Glue" would have come out and I would have glued a peincil or piece of dowel to the marble and pulled it out.

I was just gunna suggest that!

Latest posts

Back